A Rebel Wedding (Part Two)

Comenzar desde el principio

Another three days passed, and invited guests began to turn up from across the galaxy. Captain, now Commander, Rex was the first to arrive, his white bushy beard only having grown longer since the last time Ezra had seen him. For a man bred exclusively war, peace time seemed to suit Rex. After the Battle of Endor, he had involved himself in relief efforts for planets which had suffered under imperial reign. After the clone had settled in, Ahsoka Tano turned up, greeting Rex with a tight hug. The two old friends then proceeded to separate from the rest of the group, talking about everything that had happened to them since they had last spoken. And then a gaggle of Mandalorians arrived on a small fleet of ships; Sabine's entire family as well as Fenn Rau. Ezra hoped to ask them some questions about Mandalorian wedding traditions, but that could wait for now. And finally, a few old rebel friends turned up, including the pilot, Wedge Antilles. Many of the crew's old friends could not make it, the New Republic was fragile enough without losing half of its followers for a week due to a wedding. But it was still nice to see everyone who came. There was one last surprise visitor who arrived mere hours before the wedding was set to start. Alexsandr Kallus.
"Hope I'm not too late" the former ISB agent greeted, a bottle of Toniray wine in his hand as a gift for the happy couple. Ezra chuckled, still not quite believing that he was happy to see a former foe.
"You cut it close, Kallus. Everyone's getting dressed now, but I see you've already got that covered" the apprentice remarked, glancing at Kallus' white tuxedo. He wore it well.
"Oh, this old thing...it was originally meant for imperial balls. I'm glad to wear it to an event I'm not ashamed to attend" the agent replied, bidding Ezra farewell with a polite nod. Ezra shook his head with a grin. In the early days, Kallus had been a comic villain, shouting up at the sky in anger every time the rebels made a lucky escape. Who would've thought he'd become one of the bravest men in the rebellion? For a moment, Ezra stood there, admiring himself in a nearby mirror. He had just gotten dressed into his own tuxedo, and considering he'd worn smart clothes so little in his life, they certainly seemed to suit him. His own suit jacket was a dark orange colour, not boisterous enough to be considered informal, yet still adhering to his own personal style. Wedding or not, he was still Ezra Bridger. And then she showed herself. Sabine walked out of a dressing room nearby, fiddling with her hair as she presented herself. As maid of honour, it was her role to look stunning, and in Ezra's eyes she certainly did. She wore a short white dress which cut off at her knees and contrasted perfectly with her bright red hair. The apprentice couldn't help but gape silently in a dumbstruck manner. After she had fixed her hair, Sabine gave a smile, closing Ezra's mouth gently with her hand.
"Let me get that for you, Ez" she remarked with a grin. Ezra blinked, looking her up and down with a smile.
"You look...amazing. I-I mean you do normally but...wow" he replied breathlessly. Sabine avoided his gaze for a moment, feeling ever so slightly awkward at the compliment. But she soon returned one.
"You look pretty good yourself...who knew you could be smart?" she questioned with a laugh. Ezra joined her with a chuckle.
"Not me" he commented. They stood silently for a moment, coughing awkwardly. So many years together, and sometimes they still acted like nervous teenagers.
"We should probably get moving, don't want to be late for the wedding" Sabine commented after a few seconds, glancing around at the lack of people around them. Most would already be in the main hall by now.
"You're right, as always...my lady" Ezra said, dramatically offering her his arm. The Mandalorian rolled her eyes, linking her arm in his, and together the two of them strolled forwards.

The main hall at this space resort was truly impressive. It looked like some sort of throne room, with the entire back wall comprised of an enormous window, looking out on the green nebula beyond. Kanan stood already waiting there, sporting a navy-blue suit jacket and twiddling his fingers nervously. Zeb, the best man, stood nearby, dressed in a tuxedo without arms, especially designed for Lasat. It had been difficult to get hold of, but everyone wanted to look their best today. Ahsoka had stepped up to marry Kanan and Hera, now being the most senior Jedi in the galaxy. She had memorised the words in her head, and now stood behind a lectern with a small smile on her face. Ezra and Sabine shared a quick nod before taking their places on opposite sides of Ahsoka. And now, everyone anxiously awaited the bride herself. For a moment, the room was filled with indistinct mumbling, as all of the guests quietly discussed among themselves. And then, the chamber turned silent, save for an occasional gasp. Hera entered the room, her arm linked with her father, Cham Syndulla. She wore a flowing white dress, a far cry from her usual scruffy pilot's outfit. In her hands, she carried a beautiful pink and blue bouquet of flowers. And on her face Ezra noted the biggest smile he had ever seen. She reached Kanan's side, and her father gave her away with a proud smile.
"My daughter...you look incredible. You deserve this...both of you, I'll be watching the entire time" Cham commented, giving a nod towards Kanan before sitting down in the front row. Kanan and Hera shared an enormous grin, neither of them quite believing what was going on. And once the room settled down, Ahsoka began to speak.
"Ladies, gentleman, people from across the galaxy. We are gathered here today to witness the joining of Hera Syndulla and Kanan Jarrus. If any man holds any reason why these two should not be joined in marriage, step forwards now, or forever hold your peace" she began. The hall remained silent, who could object to such a beautiful wedding?
"In that case...bring forward the rings" Ahsoka stated, glancing from side to side. Zeb fumbled in his pocket for a moment with a sheepish grin before placing a ring in Kanan's hand. Chopper, meanwhile, retrieved a second ring from a hidden compartment and presented it to Hera. Kanan slid a ring onto Hera's finger, and she did the same to him, the two of them again sharing a smile.
"Kanan Jarrus...your vows?" Ahsoka questioned, knowing Kanan well enough to know that he'd prepare his own. Of course, she was correct.
"Hera...I promise that I'll never leave your side as long as you'll have me. I promise that I'll never stop you flying, and never hold you down. I promise to love you and you alone, as I have done my entire life. And I swear I'll keep you safe...not that you'd ever need protecting" he promised, earning a chuckle from the crowd at his last statement. A tear rolled down Hera's cheek, and she cleared her throat as she readied her own vows.
"Kanan...I promise that no matter how far I fly...I'll always come back for you. I promise that I'll return your love. And I swear I'll keep you safe as well...my Jedi..." she stated. Kanan nodded, even starting to choke up a little himself.
"Then...by the power vested in me from the force...I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride..." Ahsoka remarked, closing her book and watching the wedding conclude. Kanan grinned, lifting Hera up into the air and sharing a passionate kiss with her. Ezra smiled, joining the crowds in a joyous applause. Sabine subtly inched close to him, taking his hand as they watched their surrogate parents finally tie the knot. Chopper gave a rare happy garble, launching confetti from his dome, and Zeb's loud clapping could be heard from across the room. And there, on the backdrop of an emerald nebula, Spectre One and Spectre Two became one at last. Long seconds passed, and Kanan finally placed Hera back on her feet as everyone crowded behind her. Ezra and Sabine shared a grin, joining the crowds reluctantly. With a powerful arm, Hera threw her bouquet into the air. Everything seemed to turn into slow motion as the flowers spiralled through the air. But, inevitably, they landed in the hands of a certain Mandalorian, who smiled shyly and turned a little red at the sudden attention. And if that wasn't the sign Ezra had been waiting for, then he didn't know what was. Kanan and Hera were married now, it was time for him to plan his own proposal. And like everything he did, he would make sure it was unique...