-02-

- 02 -

- 02 -

FROM sky towers and wide avenues to small shops to eat and relax, streets filled with up-market stores sporting matte black, glass exteriors and fancy names, all kinds of places with perfumed atmospheres alluring the costumers with music and charming staff, Tokyo was the city who lived every moment with the people in it.

Its Central park possessed expanses of grass, graveled and brick paths, round or rectangular flower beds decorated with stone statues, wooden benches, and small ponds with over-crossing bridges. It was a must-visit place for tourists and heaven for a photographer like Mika.

And although Tokyo was known as one of the busiest cities in the world, surprisingly the central park at sunrise was in absolute stillness. Mika's only companions were the little birds landing beside her feet, while she was positioning her photographing equipment and was getting ready for her work.

Her only mission for today was to capture the most mesmerizing sunrise and nothing and no one was going to come in her way. Looking at her wristwatch she saw that she had around one minute until the first ray shows up on the horizon.

She took a deep breath to calm her rising heart, positioned her hands firmly around her camera, and whispered before her first snapshot. Even if her confidence was a little overwhelming for someone alone in the park in five in the morning, she was still glad that her little birdie-companions could sing about this iconic moment.

"This picture will go down to history."

⋆⋆⋆

A few days later and miles away from Tokyo, the situation was a lot different.

"This is extraordinary, Mika but I know you can do so much better."

And just like that – the picture she took of the most beautiful sunrise in Tokyo's Central Park went down to history. But not the way she imagined it to do.

The photographing Professor, with whom she stayed in contact after graduating from college, looked at the photography with an unreadable expression. Somewhere deep inside his eyes, Mika saw that he enjoyed the picture she had presented to him, but on surface, his grimace spoke another story.

The fifty-year-old man leaned on his leather chair behind his desk and looked at Mika from behind his black-rim glasses that were loosely plopped on his nose. He put back the photo she had given him in front of her and spoke further when he saw the slightly pained expression on her face.

If only he had known the effort she had to put to establish to capture that sunrise. His old butt didn't travel thousands miles from home, woken up in three in the morning to arrive at the park and to be able to catch something that happens only for a few seconds.

"Look, I didn't say that the photography is bad. If I'm being honest, this may be one of your finest pieces. But it's missing something..."

"I don't follow you, sorry."