Prologue

Say what you want about memory, but I firmly believe that they make us who we are as human beings. Fond memories can catapult you through nearly any hardship, while bad ones can drag you through the deepest pit of despair. I find myself haunted by all sorts of memories- both bad and good. Despite my best efforts, I could never seem to will my memories out of my mind. 

I found ways to keep myself in the present and did all I could to occupy my mind, staying far away from the past. But I still strayed. 

I went to therapy, practiced yoga, experimented in spiritualism, and even tried hypnosis. Something always brought me back to my childhood moments with a best friend I hadn't seen in years. To my first kiss at fifteen. To being seventeen and speeding over an overpass hoping my car wouldn't collide over the edge. 

It always bugged me that someone could occupy my mind through my memories, but I had no way of knowing if I ever crossed theirs. I could feel it in my bones that she- the girl I knew- didn't think about me as often as I did of her. I knew the first person I really loved forgot about me as quickly as she disappeared from my life. I became the girl she knew, the girl she lost, the girl she forgot. 

Even as I see her now, I am merely the girl she knew.

~Rosie