College AU

I lugged my suitcases around the corner until I reached my room. Wiping the sweat off my brow, I cursed the LA sun. I had been living in California all my life but sometimes the late summer heat still shocked me. I knew I must look ridiculous to the people passing by. Massive suitcase in one hand, duffle in the other, backpack slung over my shoulder and campus map held between my teeth, I awkwardly kicked open the door to my new dorm room with my foot.

The room was pretty small, with a set of twin beds, two chests of draws, and a couple of wooden desks cramped into the corner of the room. I could also see a door that must lead to the closet. One of the beds was already made, a suitcase sat at the edge of it, still very much packed but I could see a few personal items had already been set up on the bedside table.

"Olivia must have just beat me here." I thought, pulling my bags through the door. I wondered where she had gone off to. I checked my phone to see if she had texted me but there was nothing since this morning when she had said she would be at the dorms at 10:45. It was currently 10:19. A little early, but she must have just dropped off her stuff and stepped out for a minute.

Thinking that I might as well start unpacking my stuff, I unzipped my duffle bag and pulled out my sheets. I tucked my fitted sheet around the mattress and reached into my duffle for my top sheet when I heard an unfamiliar voice from behind me.

"Um... who are you?"

I turned around to see a very confused looking guy with dirty blond hair and clear blue eyes. He wore a plain light blue v-neck t-shirt that showed off his defined arm muscles and tan pants with the cuffs rolled up. Just like me, his skin was covered in a light sheen of sweat from the hot day and he was holding a coffee in his hand.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely, wondering what this guy was doing on the girl's floor of the dorms. He seemed even more confused at my response and shifted awkwardly in the doorway.

"I guess I could ask you the same question," he replied. "You're in my room."

I felt my face heat up immediately and I scrambled to find the paper with my room information on it. "Uh, no I'm not, this is 217 right?"

The boy grinned, leaning now more confidently against the doorway. "No, this is 317, you're up one floor too high."

"Oh god," I felt my face turning redder by the minute, "Woah I'm so sorry, this is your room and I've just started unpacking all my stuff. How did I end up on the third floor?? I knew that the boy's dorms were up here. I'm such an idiot!" I rambled, quickly pulling my sheets off of the bed and stuffing them back into my open suitcase before zipping it shut tightly.

"Hey," he said, moving towards me. "No worries, it happens to everyone."

I gave him a look, "No it doesn't."

"You're right, it doesn't, but really, don't worry about it." his blue eyes sparkled as he laughed in the friendly sort of way that made me want to grin too. "I'm Shayne by the way," he said, extending his hand to me. "Shayne Topp."

"Nice to meet you Shayne Topp," I replied, shaking his hand, "I'm Courtney-bed-stealing-Miller."

He laughed again at my words, "Nice to meet you too Courtney."

"Well, I should probably head down to my real room." I said letting go of his hand. I felt a little awkward, of course this would happen to me on my first day of college. He probably thought I was an absolute idiot. Way to make a first impression Courtney. But he just nodded good naturedly.

"Here, let me help you bring your stuff down. How the hell did you lug this all up here by yourself?" he said, gesturing to my two incredibly over stuffed suitcases.