Soulmate AU - Samlivia

"Sam literally won't shut up about you."

I looked up from my phone to see Shayne shaking his head at his. We were taking a break from a long day of script writing. Keith and Noah had gone to pick up food for a late lunch and Courtney, Shayne, and I were just hanging out on the beanbags in the squad office.

"Oh? And what's he saying?" I asked grinning as Shayne rolled his eyes.

"Oh just a bunch of lovey dovey things that I wish my virgin eyes had never seen" he grinned.

"Like what?" I pressed, now grinning myself. "Like tell me his exact words Shayne."

"Ask him yourself, you weirdo."

"But it's so much more fun trying to get you to say it!" I smirked. I liked that I was making Shayne squirm, and he knew what I was up to. He shook his head at me, refusing to give in to my antics.

"I'm just saying, if you guys end up together, I definitely get the credit."

"Fine, I'll let you have that," I replied, settling further into my beanbag.

I looked over at Courtney who was sitting crossed legged at my feet. She had stayed quiet throughout mine and Shayne's whole exchange, but she looked like she wanted to say something and didn't know whether she should or not.

"What's up Court?" I asked.

"Well, it's just..." she hesitated, biting her lip nervously before continuing. "What if you meet your soul mate tomorrow."

I knew she was asking out of concern for me but I felt a pang of hurt at her question anyways and saw Shayne shoot her a why-the-hell-are-you-asking-her-that look.

"I don't think I should just wait around for my person." I replied resolutely. "Besides I really like Sam."

"You're right I guess," Courtney said, playing absentmindedly with her 'ring' which was glowing a soft gold colour. Mine wrapped around my finger as lifeless and dark as ever.

I had always been of the opinion that you should date around, find someone to spend your time with, even fall in love, and your soulmate would find you when it was time. That time happened for Courtney just over a month ago, and for Shayne, two years before that. I wouldn't say I was jealous, but I was a little frustrated.

I had gone through a bad breakup with my ex a few months ago when he had found his soulmate while we were still together. It's hard to argue with the opportunity of everlasting and all-encompassing love, but we had been dating for five years and he kicked me out as soon as he met her.

What I liked to call 'soulmate magic' was tricky stuff. It definitely wasn't an exact science. Everyone in the world was born with a thin tattoo around their ring finger. These 'rings' were typically grey or black but would shine gold when you met your soulmate. Only it wasn't that simple.

It would be lovely if everyone had a soulmate, but life isn't perfect and sometimes you don't get what you want. Some people's ring fingers never turn gold. Some people just get flickers of light when they meet someone who they're compatible with. That's what it was like for me when I met James.

I still remember when I first saw him from across the room and my ring lit up for a moment as we locked eyes. It felt like a love story, and I thought that was as good as it would get. Ok my finger didn't stay lit but it doesn't happen for everyone. I was content with a good love, even if it wasn't the great love of my life. It crushed me when it was over.

I know Courtney was concerned, she didn't want to see me get hurt again. But I was prepared this time. I was stronger. I would go into this without expectations, and that way I wouldn't be disappointed, right?