Angel / Demon AU - Part 2

Chapter II: Game Time

Shayne sat at the small wooden table which was wedged into the corner of the motel room he and his friends were staying in. It was 3 am and both Olivia and Courtney were passed out in their beds on the other side of a thin partition wall. Shayne tried to be as quiet as possible as he flipped through old texts which depicted the Princes of Hell and their powers. Of course, none of the books Olivia and Courtney owned said anything about how to defeat these ancient beings, just that it would take a lot of power of the heavenly variety.

Shayne could have told them that himself.

Frustrated, the angel closed the book and sighed, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his eyes. With nothing else to go on, and no one answering him from 'upstairs', Damien's words were his best bet. He just hoped that he wasn't leading Olivia and Courtney into a trap.

Shayne thought back to his conversation with the Demon. Although he didn't really trust him, there was something Shayne liked about Damien. It was something about the way he held himself, or the way that he spoke, that put Shayne at ease, as though he had known him for a while, as if they were already friends. Shayne shook his head, trying to clear his mind. That was ridiculous. Angels weren't friends with Demons, it was against their nature.

It was times like these that Shayne felt like he needed a coffee. He glanced at the motel coffee maker sitting on the counter cross from him for a moment, before standing up to make one. As an angel, technically Shayne didn't need to eat or drink anything to sustain himself, but after spending enough time with Olivia and Courtney, he had developed a liking for the caffeinated drink.

"You know, I can get you a much better cup of joe then that," came a loud voice from behind him.

Shayne turned around quickly to see that it was none other than Damien. He was leaning against the table Shayne had been sitting at moments before, his hands folded across his chest in a cocky stance.

"What are you doing here Damien?" Shayne peaked around the partition wall quickly to see if his friends were still asleep. Olivia rolled over, but he could still see the consistent rise and fall of their chests. They hadn't heard Damien come in.

"Well I said I would be in touch."

"I didn't think it would be at 3 am!" Shayne huffed. It had been two days since they had met the demon and decided to work with him. Since then, Shayne and the girls had been scouring the lore for information on the Princes of Hell. They hadn't faced something this big in a while and wanted to go into it as prepared as possible.

"Sorry for interrupting your 'beauty sleep'" the demon joked, "I just came to give you an update. Mari is moving forward with her plan more quickly than I originally thought. We need to do this soon."

Shayne nodded. He had heard whispers on what Courtney jokingly called 'angel radio' that the Prince of Hell was gathering power and planned on making a move within a week. "I know. We need to make a plan."

"Glad we're on the same page Shayniel." Damien grinned, leaning in and sliding a slip of paper into Shayne's hand. "Here's a time and place to meet me tomorrow. Don't be late Angel." And with that he disappeared, as if he had never been in the motel room to begin with.

* * *

"Are you sure we're at the right place Shayne?"

The angel nodded slowly, looking down at his watch again. The three of them were sitting in a booth at The Sinnamon Roll, a dinner at the edge of town. Besides for the pun in its name, the café wouldn't have been where Shayne would imagine a Demon would want to meet up. The waitresses wore frilled aprons over pastel yellow dresses, the windows were framed with lacy curtains, and the furniture was all colored in a soft pink hue.