The surgery || pt 1 ✨

The surgery

{ colbys POV}

{colby's apartment}

Today was the day. The day that could change everything. I sat in bed for a while, my chest tightening at the thought of the events that were to uncurl in the next 24 hours. I slipped out of my bed, slowly walking into the main area of my apartment, where Sam was laying asleep
on my sofa. He'd fallen asleep there the night before, too worried about the events of today to be in an apartment by himself. I smiled at his cuteness, but my smile immediately turned upside down when I saw his cheeks were wet and glistening with tears. "Oh precious,"' I muttered, moving over to him and kneeling down next to the sofa, running my hand through his soft blonde hair. I knew he was worried about today, god forbid so was I. Well, obviously Sam had every reason to be nervous. It was his life on the line after all. Today Sam was undergoing life threatening surgery, getting a heart transplant. Sam's suffered from heart failure since the day I met him all those years ago. He has cardiomyopathy, a weakening of the heart muscle. Finally, he got to the top of the transplant list, and today's the big day. I was shaken out of my thoughts by Sam moving around. I gently pushed his hair back from his eyes as they fluttered open. "Morning sleepy head," I smiled.
"Morning Colbs," Sam sniffed. I looked down on him, and it's like a switch flipped in his head because he visibly tensed. I knew for a fact he had just remembered what was happening today.
"You ready?" I asked as Sam sat up.
"No," Sam frowned. I sat down next to Sam on the sofa and he shuffled closer to me. "It's gonna be fine, you know that right?" I reassured him, putting an arm around his shoulders. "But it could go wrong," Sam challenged. "Don't think about what could go wrong, Sammy,"
I said, looking into his eyes. "Think about how amazing you're gonna feel afterwards."
Sam nodded, bringing a hand up to place on his chest. "It terrifies me," Sam spoke. "The thought of having someone else's heart."
"It won't feel any different Sam I promise,"
I sighed, kissing the top of sam's head.
"Now, get up and get dressed. Jake and corey are coming over before we head to the hospital," i said to him, standing up. I saw him sigh, and look at the hospital bag the both of us had packed him the night before that was laying by the sofa. I put my hand on his shoulder and made eye contact with his baby blue orbs. "I'm gonna be there, every step of the way, you know that dude," I smiled. He nodded and hugged me. I hugged him back, a small smile plastered on my face.

Once Corey and Jake had popped in, wished Sam good luck, Katrina had called Sam and wished him well (let's just pretend they've broken up for his story) Sam got into the passenger seat of my car, as I climbed into the drivers. I started the engine and began the drive to the dreaded hospital, watching Sam out the corner of my eye. We sat in comfortable silence, until the grumble of sam's stomach broke it. We both chuckled as Sam complained about his hunger. He had been nill by mouth since yesterday evening, and he was not happy about it. I patted his shoulder with my free hand. "I'll treat you to a massive feast as soon as this is over," I promised. He nodded, and reached for my hand that was still on his shoulder, bringing it down to his lap and holding it tightly with both of his shaking hands. I held them back and caressed them gently with my thumb. When we made it to the hospital, Sam slowly unbuckled his seatbelt and got out. He grabbed his bag of belongings from the boot of the car and joined me to walk to the doors of the hospital. I reached for his hand and held it tightly, silently telling him it was alright. And with that we walked into the dreaded place.

Part 2 shall be up next week :)