Chapter Twenty Two

This Chapter is dedicated to Bronte and Kelsey for their incredible support and good taste in food xx

The photo is of Magdalene

------------------------------------------------

I pressed my hands against the clear glass and squinted against the glare of the window. I saw Fidelia resting with her back against a glass wall and her head buried tightly into her arms. I realised that she wouldn’t be doing so well considering the height of the chambers.

Karoline paced the clear box that she was in. Our chamber only had two glass walls whilst the rest of my team had all four walls, the roof and the floor made of glass.

I watched as Karoline stopped pacing and made her way over to Fidelia who had at some point rolled on to her back but had kept her arms over her eyes. I noticed her chest rising and falling far more rapidly than normal.

‘Isn’t Fidelia scared of heights?’ Wyatt’s voice next to my left shoulder gave me a fright. He had obviously got up from the floor.

I regained my composure with a slight cough. ‘Yeah, quite badly.’

‘I thought so, who would have thought? The tough Fidelia scared of heights.’ Wyatt chuckled. He folded his arms and I watched as his eyes took in the scene that had unfolded in front of us. I decided to do the same, and analyse everything about the place we were in, and look for escape routes.

The room itself was about triple the size of the training room, and the roof was very high off the ground. Not even we could make the jump which was well over thirty metres. Below us, I noticed some people the size of ants, and with the persona of bees, rushing around. In the centre of the room there was a huge round console that protruded from the floor. People in white lab coats surrounded it and moved the holographic blue images on the screen with their finger tips. The console was so big that people had to use a step ladder to alter the images at the top of the screen. I took a mental picture so I could draw it and show it to Linda when we got back.

The rest of the large room had all sorts of equipment and tables that had science experiments and half finished prototypes of things scattered across the metal tops.

Every once in a while one of the antbees in lab coats would look up at us and then scribble something down in a notebook or tap furiously onto a screen in their hands.

I jumped up and down to try and gain Fidelia or Karoline’s attention but they didn’t see me. Once or twice I thought I saw Karoline looking at me but then I would jump up and down and she wouldn’t wave or acknowledge my existence.

‘I don’t think they can see us.’ Wyatt said and gently grabbed my shoulder, pulling me away from the window.

Avery was sitting on his bag on the floor. I realised this was because there was water that had filled the chamber, but only about two centimetres of it. My bare feet skimmed over the puddles as I made my way over to where Avery was.

Before I sat on the bag, I pulled out a snickers bar from the front pocket. Amazingly, the chocolate was completely dry. Mentor Christian had been right about the packs. Luckily for him.

Or else he would have had a chocolate craving, hormonal teenage girl who also happened to be able to light things on fire by touch, on his hands.

I sat down on my pack and hungrily ripped open the chocolate bar, oblivious to the planning and tactics conversation that Wyatt and Avery were having.

I hadn’t had a Snickers bar since the first training exercise which had ultimately lead me down a path of near destruction. Hopefully the same fate was not for this exercise.