Chapter Twenty-Eight

This chapter is dedicated to @cluever for being the loveliest girl, and being so supportive! I only just started talking to her recently but she is so talented. Go and check out her profile and some of her stories, they're amazing. She also made this cover for me which is beyond cool. Thanks gorgeous!

-------------------

I slipped into a pair of jeans and a striped long-sleeved shirt. Over the shirt, I pulled on a heavy, black winter coat with soft, white wool lining the inside.

Linda said that some people lived in the little village where the scientists stayed. She said that we had to look like we fitted in. Fidelia looked at me in envy as I pushed my feet into black leather boots.

'Where was my invite?' She huffed.

'Maybe it's still in the mail?' I suggested jokingly. Obviously we didn't get mail.

'I am beyond jealous.' Fidelia drawled, and rolled onto her back.

I closed my drawer and a small piece of paper fluttered to the ground. Fidelia picked it up and examined it.

'Who's Joseph?' She raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

'Ah, nothing, I mean, no one.' I stuttered in shock, and snatched the card from her hand. It had Joseph's messy handwriting scrawled over it, along with neatly printed details.

'Magdalene...' Fidelia started.

'Oh, wow, look at the time. Looks like I have to go.' I mumbled and scampered from the room, slipping Joseph's card into my pocket. I should have told her, I mean, that's what best friends do. Tell each other things. But she was already in enough danger knowing about the bond Avery and I shared. I remembered the promise I made to myself, about not letting my friends get hurt, and the guilt about keeping the particular secret of Joseph from her subsided.

I smoothed my hair down and sucked in a shaky breath as I continued down the hallway. I met up with Avery outside the dining room. He was wearing jeans as well, with a white shirt and a honey brown winter coat.

I instantly forgot about Joseph and Fidelia, and the small catastrophe at lunch, as I brushed my lips gently against Avery's, and he pulled me into a soft hug.

'I feel almost normal.' I whispered against his chest.

'Almost.' Avery nodded, and kissed the top of my head.

We had agreed to meet Linda in the labs, so I pulled away from Avery and started to walk to the labs.

He reluctantly followed behind, each step was slow and light, like he was just waiting for me to turn around and tell him that he didn't actually have to come, and it was all a big joke. I couldn't figure out why Avery hated Linda so much, and I couldn't help but feel a little selfish for forcing him to come.

I dropped back so our footsteps were in time. 'You know, you have to come if you really don't want to.' I told him.

He looked at me for a brief moment. 'It's fine.'

I let out a breath. 'Okay.'

Linda was standing outside the Testing Lab, waiting for us. Her face lit up when she saw me, and her smiled widened when she saw Avery.

'Wow, look at you two.' Linda grinned. 'Alright, well we should probably head off. My car is out the back.'

She ushered us through the Testing Lab, and through the 'Scientist only' door. I slowed right down, to take in everything. Considering it would probably be the first and last time I'd ever get to see the inside of the 'Scientist only' room. There were computer screens everywhere. Large, small, and medium microscopes littered the bench tops as well as new agar plates, and test tubes.