Another Brick In The Wall

A single thread of hope is still a very powerful thing

Kenna must have slept the whole journey because when she woke up, she was tucked comfortably into a large bed, still in last night's clothes.

Begrudgingly, she pulled herself out of bed and patted down her hair before exiting the bedroom to find Tom slouched in a lounge chair reading attentively.

His eyes lit up when they fell on her. "Morning, sunshine," he greeted, with a smirk teasing his lips.

She groaned in response.

"Lovely to see you too," Tom continued with a chuckle and rose out his chair to meet her. For a second, Kenna thought he was going to jab her or at least make a sarcastic remark about her appearance.

However, to her complete disbelief, the boy placed his warm hand on her cheek and kissed her lightly on the lips.

It was a soft, short, casual kiss. A kiss that a loving and comfortably couple would share. A kiss that shared absolutely no characteristics with Tom Riddle.

Noticing the bewildered look on Kenna's face, Tom let out a breath of laughter and moved his hand to thread theirs together.

"I'm trying to be your boyfriend," he stated, as if that title would ever seriously be applied to someone like himself.

The banshee grinned. "It doesn't suit you, Tommy."

"Correct me if i'm wrong, Karamakov, but wasn't it you who, in your extremely dramatic monologue, said that if I want to get it right this time, it's going to take all my heart," Tom retorted, his words thick with cocky arrogance.

Kenna withdrew her hand from his and pinched his side, causing his smirk to widen.

Everything about this mundane situation stirred something in Kenna, almost like a faded flashing light in her brain warning her that this wasn't normal at all.

But what part wasn't normal? Tom being loving? Tom laughing? Them laughing together? Or the fact they were happy in a situation that should only cause them to feel sad?

Her thoughts were all jumbled together, forming nothing but incoherent nonsense in her head.

At least Tom kept them quiet for a while. But how big was the price from that silence?

"We're going to see a man," Tom declared, breaking her away form her thoughts.

Kenna watched him as he gathered his things from around the homely room. "The one who's going to take this curse off me? Make me wholesome and normal again?"

Expectedly, Tom gave her a pointed look, signalling for her to stop messing around and actually take things seriously.

However, Kenna wasn't optimistic enough to take any of this seriously. She wasn't a fool; she knew how real this all was. It wasn't going to be solved by the first random lead they found.

Honestly, Kenna had no idea how long this may all go on. Maybe it would be years before Teddy remembered her again, and even then would he care anymore?