Chapter Eight | Waltz through the Sea

Time slogged onward at an arduous speed, each second magnified to an eternity. The pre-party consisted of fleshy "delicacies," superficial small talk, and winks from Prince Kao. I was certain embarrassment dyed my cheeks a permanent pink. I wished to switch seats or excuse myself from the room for any reason, but I didn't want to seem rude in front of the princes and princesses. It didn't help that I remained silent throughout their conversation, a mere barnacle on the wall, since they spoke of fantastical, undersea destinations, and gossiped about the latest news in their kingdoms. There was nothing I could add or relate to.

I definitely took back what I said earlier: there was no way I could stay in Oamer. I'd be out of there the first chance I got.

At last, the French doors swung open, and a merman in a top hat entered.

"Your Majesties, Your Highnesses, and Ladies," he began in a stuffy voice, "It is time to prepare for the ball."

Relief washed over me. Thank goodness this was over. I just needed to hope that the ball was better than the pre-party.

All the mermaids filed from the room. Queen Posentia and her incessant babbling led the procession down the hallway, trailed by the reserved Queen Ezel. Lira, Catilli, and Merlah were next in line, and I took up the rear. Sometimes, it's better to not insert yourself in conversations.

More servants bustled about. Every curtain, every hall table, every painting had to be perfect, not even a smidgen tilted or off center. One mermaid held a piece of glass to the walls in order to scrape even the tiniest trace of algae away.

Finally, a door covered in luminous seashells glowed before us. It swung open to an enormous room, lit by fluorescent plants embedded in the soaring ceiling. Ladies in elaborate dress floated in front of coral booths that lined the white walls, attended by wearily smiling maids.

A purple-haired mermaid appeared before me, her cheeks nailed in an overly enthusiastic grin. That poor maid, she had to endure so many demands, from troublesome guests to pompous royalty, with a cheery disposition.

"Please follow me," she chirped.

I followed the grey light of her tail to a booth a few paces away. Sel popped out from behind an adjacent black curtain.

"Your dress is in there," Sel said. "Change, then we'll accessorize."

I ducked inside the changing room. Part of me wondered why they even bothered with the curtain. It flailed in the water, threatening to fly up and expose me. Once again, my decision to keep my swimsuit on paid off.

I exchanged the black pre-party dress for the baby pink ballgown Catilli selected. I wished I could have tried it on before. Maybe then I could have picked something different to wear. Seashells the size of my hand peppered the bodice, and the layers of diamond-studded pink ruffles puffed outward like flower petals. Altogether, the drenched tulle weighed down my slim frame.

My fingers ran over the scratchy material in a feeble attempt to smooth it down. Amusement bubbled in my chest.

Lani would burst with laughter if she saw me in this.

It was too showy, nothing like my simple taste. Even Lani, an actress, might have a hard time pulling this look off.

I emerged from the chamber. Sel grinned the instant she saw me, and I stiffened, overcome with anxiety.

Does she think I look foolish? It was one thing to feel dumb in the dress; it was another for others to agree.

"That looks so good on you!" she gushed. "It's definitely your color."