2.6 How to stalk somebody on social media

"I just found it." Christine explained as I stared, agape, at the laptop screen. "I called Jake and Rich over immediately because they live so close to here. Then we came straight to find you." Christine glanced over my shoulder at the screen.

"And in that time it looks like he accepted my follow request." She said with a smile, patting me on the back. I couldn't believe it. I knew Christine had found a lead to finding Michael - but this was more than a simple lead.

She'd literally fucking found his personal social media page. 

I jumped up, pulling her into a even tighter embrace than the one she'd greeted me with back at the pub. After a moment, she pulled away - softly patting me on the shoulder. Her hand rested there for a second.

"I'm so sorry." She mumbles quietly. "I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this." 

"It's okay." I smiled sheepishly. "These things happen. It's just unfortunate." She nodded at this. I looked back at the computer, taking a closer look at the page.

"Are you going to message him and tell him everything that's happened?" Rich asked suddenly. "I'm sure if he knew what was going on he'd defy all natural laws and teleport into this kitchen as soon as he hears." 

I hesitated. Naturally, my first instinct would be yes. I was going to message him and tell him what had happened. However, the more I thought about it - the more I felt that it was a particular bombshell I wanted to reveal in person.

"I... Don't know." I replied honestly. After a pause, I felt a hand resting on my shoulder again. I turned, looking up at Jake who was smiling down at me.

"I think I get it. You guys were best friends - you'd rather talk to him in person. That's okay." Jake explained my thoughts. I gave him a quick nod - looking back at Michael's account. I clicked on the latest photo, which was dated from the day before.

It looked as though it was a family photo - a group of what looked like Michael's family all crowded into one place, smiling warmly at the camera. The photo itself had no caption.

I took a closer look - spotting Michael crouched down between two women standing behind him. Both sported wide grins, one's hand mid-ruffling Michael's already messy curls. Michael himself was mid-scratching a beautiful border collie lying down in front of him.

I assumed the women to be Michael's two mums that the others had told me about, guessing that the dog was probably some family pet that they owned. It was a sweet photo, other relatives dotted around them.

I clicked off the photo, deciding maybe now was the time to do some more digging. I turned around to face Christine. "Could you message him directly for me? Just catch up a bit and try find out where he is." 

"You want to surprise him or something?" She asked. I frowned.

"Well my condition isn't that much of a surprise, if you ask me." I paused. "I just don't want to start the conversation." I told her, much quieter.

"You nervous to message Michael?" Rich laughed at me. "Come on, dude! You guys were best friends for years. Don't be so worried. Just start the message with something like 'hey this Jeremy' then say that you need to tell him something in person. Easy!" 

"Rich." Jake scolded, stamping on the shorter man's foot. "It won't be that easy. Jeremy has barely got any memories of him and Michael being best friends - plus he's been waiting for this moment for a year now." Rich fell quiet at this.

"It's okay." I smiled weakly at him. "To be honest, I probably should just do that - but Jake's right. I guess I'm just... Scared. Which is crazy to think - considering we've been friends for so long-"

"Right." Christine interrupted us. "While you guys have been talking I messaged Michael directly. We started a good conversation - which also let me get his new number, which is good." 

"He told me that his stay in the Philippines over ran longer than he expected due to some personal issues. Neither of us have mentioned anything about you yet, Jeremy. Care to take over?" Christine told us. I nodded, taking a long breath.

I swapped seats with Christine, now back in front of the laptop once more, reading the last message that was sent between Christine and Michael's conversation. It had been from Michael, just a friendly reply to one of Christine's questions.

'My new number is 6664 206969 :) Sorry I didn't send it to you before! How's things been on your end? How is everybody?'

I took a deep breath. He was here, he was texting and I actually had a chance. Before I could think anything else, I began to type.

'Hey Mike, it's me, Jeremy - can we talk??'

_xMichaelM is typing...

'Jere..? I'm sorry. I really don't want to talk to you right now.'