1.7 How to remember denying a relationship

"Jeremy is your boyf, Michael! Stop denying the truth." A short boy sitting at the lunch table opposite me told the Filipino - who was sitting next to me at the table.

Michael almost choked on his food, looking up and starting at the shorter boy. "Rich, stop. Jere has a girlfriend." Michael shook his head, though I swear I noticed him give the short boy a hidden death stare - one I probably wasn't supposed to see.

"Uh- actually," I perked up, "Me and Christine broke up yesterday. We decided we would be better of as friends." I told them all. The taller, stronger looking boy sitting next to the short one raised his eyebrow at me, while Michael actually did choke on his food then.

"Really? Let me guess, Christine broke up with you?" The tall boy asked me curiously. I shook my head slowly.

"No, actually." I paused, eyeing my friends expression. "I broke up with her." There was a unbelieving look on Michael's face, so I probably should of expected the following comment.

"Really, mate? Content with the single life?" So, I punched him in the arm. Temporarily forgetting the fact that it wouldn't hurt as I was literally the human version of a thin twig.

"No, he won't have the single life." The small boy in front of me smirked at us. "He's got his riends." 

Michael reached over and slapped the small boy in the arm, who was sniggering at us and had earned a small giggle from the taller boy at his side.

"Jake agrees with me, don't you - Jake?" The smaller boy asked the taller one - who I assumed must be Jake. The name did ring a bell, Rich had told me that his boyfriend had been called Jake. Which must mean...

"Sure, Rich. Whatever you say." Rich scowled at him.

"Well they are meant to be - they are boyf riends forever." Rich crossed his arms, huffing. Jake sighed.

"You can't force them to get together. They are best friends." Jake glanced up at me and Michael.

"No, I think you're just a homophobe."

"Rich, I'm literally pansexual."

"Homophobe."

I gasped for breath finally managing to open my eyes to the current world once more. Rich's last text about how close me and Michael had been must have triggered the memory of us four at the table.

It was nice to be able to put a name to a face though. Even if it was names to faces of what they looked like several years ago. Still, it was enough.

'hey?'

'heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?'

'jeremyyyyyyy?????????'

'are u alive'

'don't die on me'

I sent a quick text back to Rich, wondering how long I'd been out for. If it was anything like when I was with Chloe, it should have only been around a minute or so, but this time seemed longer.

Well, it was either that or Rich was just seriously impatient. Which, knowing what I knew about him at this point, would really not surprise me. Short people were stereotypically angry - so maybe impatient as well? It wasn't too far a stretch.

I tried to ignore the fact that I'd just single-handedly offended all the short people out there ever. Well, whatever. It wasn't like anybody can hear my thoughts.

'I'm alive. Just blacked out because your text answering my question triggered a memory!!!' I texted back excitedly - practically buzzing to tell Rich what it had been about. I was also curious as to whether he would remember it or not.

'what was it about?!'

'Well, it was me, Michael, you (I think - are you very short??) and Jake (I also think. He's tall and I think you called him Jake in my memory anyway.'

'I am NOT short. You all are just very tall and that was probably Jake, yeah.'

'Right, right. Whatever you say. Anyway, basically you were teasing me and Michael about the 'boyf - riends' thing?? Still don't rly understand it, but yeah. Then Michael was all like 'oh jere has a girlfriend' and I basically said no I don't and told you guys that we had broken up the day before.'

'Ohhhhhh. I remember that. Quite clearly, actually. Mostly because 1. I have a good memory, 2. it was a shock you guys broke up and 3. Michael got so embarrassed that day it was hilarious.'

'I'm sure it was hilarious for him'

'I try my best.'

'To be honest, (I've already said this, but I'll say it again) if you really want to know about who you were before and try to trigger more memories - you have to get in touch and meet Michael. Christine will help, I'm sure, but you and Michael have been best friends since like you were four I think.'

'Wow that's a long time. Do you think Christine could get me his new number and stuff?'

'Like I said before: probably, but don't trust me on that. I really have no idea. Me and Jake have sort of been busy together lately. We were planning a reunion of sorts soon though.'

'That'd be cool. Chloe sounded like she missed everybody by the way she talked about you all.'

'Awhhhhhhh'

'Thanks again Rich, this really helps.'

'Anything for a friend, my guy'

'I'll see you tomorrow 2:00pm then?'

'Yeah, see you then Jeremiah.'

'Bye Richard.'

I sighed turning of my phone and laying back on my bed, closing my eyes and thinking about everything that had just happened. Rich had told me twice that it would help to talk to Christine, but Michael would be the best person to contact.

In my memories, we did seem pretty close. Well, apart from the optic nerve blocking one of course.

I shivered. I didn't want to think about that right now. If everything Rich said had been true and me and Michael had been best friends since we were four years old - that just made the whole situation way worse.

I slapped myself in the face. The optic nerve blocking was definitely a memory and Rich I trusted was not going to lie to a guy with amnesia about his past.

Old me had been such a asshole.