Chapter Four

UNEDITED

Chapter Four

"So who's your new friend?" my mom asks, almost immediately as we sit down at the Chinese buffet for lunch.

"Oh, his name is Mark," I say casually.

"That boy you just met the other day?" Lena asks.

My moms mouth drops. "You were at a boy's house that you met yesterday?" she gaps.

I give Lena a look and sigh. "Yep. Oh, and can he come for dinner tomorrow?"

"Jared is coming over for dinner tomorrow," Lena points out as she shoves a sugar roll into her mouth.

"Well Jared and Mark are step-brothers. I thought you would know that considering you gave Mark my number," I shoot back.

"You gave out Katie's number?" my dad asks.

Lena looks over and gives him a smile. "He said he needed to ask her about a project."

"Oh that's B. S. and you know it."

"Katie," my mother snaps. "Language."

I mutter a "whatever" and get up to fill my plate. I got here a little late so everyone else has started eating. I browse the selections and end up getting some beef and broccoli, a sugar roll, those really good noodles, and a crab cake.

Once I get back to the table our conversation goes on about school, a few mentions about my sight, and we get back into our normal routine of things until I realize mom never answered my question.

"Hey mom, so can he eat dinner with us tomorrow?" I ask after I finish chewing some of my beef.

"Who?"

"Mark."

"Oh," she hesitates.

"His parents are always out of town and I feel super bad for him."

"Oh yeah," Lena says. "Jared mentioned that a few times. I guess the parents they live with now are lawyers?" She directs the question at me.

"Yeah. He mentioned his sister and older brother, but not Jared."

"Jared said that it's his biological mom and Mark's biological dad," Lena says.

"Lawyers must like other lawyers," I remark. Lena snorts.

"Yeah, sure," my mother finally answers me.

"Cool. Can I text him right now?" I ask, already grabbing for my phone.

"Why don't you call him?" My dad suggests.

"Um," I start.

Lena cuts in and says, "Yeah. It'd be more polite to call."

I nod and stand up, moving away from people so the call will be quiet.

The phone rings a few times and he finally picks up.

"Katie?"

"Hey, Mark. I just wanted to let you know that my parents said it was okay for you to come over for dinner."

"Seriously?" He asks excitedly.

"Seriously. I can pick you up around five, that sound good?"

"That sounds awesome!"

"Um, okay."

He laughs. "I'll see you then."

"Hasta mañana."