Chapter Two

UNEDITED sorry

Chapter Two

I sobered up after I read the text from my mother. This wasn't a joke; she wouldn't do something like that. This is for real. There is a chance that I will be able to see color. 

I went ahead and walked back into class nodding at the teacher that I'm sorry. I didn't look at Mike, even when he tried to catch my eye. He probably thinks I'm mad at him now but I'm not. There are just a few more important things to think about.

The class goes on with us working on an essay but I barely get anything done. As soon as the bell rings I shoot up and race to the place I usually meet Kylie and Lena. They're there already and they're bubbling with excitement so I know they've been told.

At least someone is.

They catch my dead serious look and we leave wordlessly.

"Katie!" I turn around as I hear my name being called. It's Mark. Once he catches back up to me he hands me a pencil. "You forgot this, but you left so quickly I couldn't get it to you fast enough."

"Thanks," I say and immediately turn around and keep walking. I don't realize he's walking with us until we're already out by the car. "Do you need something?" I ask impatiently. He looks stunned that I'm so irritated.

"Look, if this is about what happened-" he starts to say, but I cut him off.

"There are more important things than what happened! No everything is about what happened to you!" Gosh, I've only met him once and I already want to strangle him. His face goes white and he nods, retreating back to his group of friends.

Quikly I scramble into the car and embrace the heater. 

"What was that about?" Lena asks as she rubs her hands together to make them warm.

"He's annoying and I wan't to freaking get home and talk to mom." I know I'm acting out, but it's kind of hard when, well, medicine.

"Ohh," Lena and Kylie understand now. My mood swings are just wonderful, yeah?

Kylie drives as fast as she can without getting pulled over and I watch the trees go by. 

I've always dreamed about color. Well, not really, but I've always dreamed about what it'd be like. The trees outside blur together in a big gray cloud. One thing I like about the winter is that  I'm really not missing much with nature. People tell me that snow is white and that it's truly beautiful. That is one thing I get to enjoy. When I was younger I used to get my warmest clothes on and just lay in the snow and watch it fall from the sky. 

Our house comes into view all too quickly and I brace myself for what's to come. Surgery? Special lense, or something? I don't know what I could handle. And do I even want this? I know that I've always thought about it, but for it to be an actual possibility just blows my mind. 

I grab my backpack and swing it over my shoulder, these thoughts still running through my mind. The wind bites at my face when I open the door and my head starts to spin. The ground underneath me floats in and out of view so I grip the side of the car. I can still feel the intense cold and now it's getting bad. I try to take a step but I fall. 

"Katie!" 

My head is pounding. I open my eyes and Dr. Chang floats into view. A soft, comforter is below me and I gratefully close back my eyes and snuggle into it. I want to sleep, not get up and talk about my eyes. Theres a hand on my shoulder and it shakes a little bit.

"Let me sleep," I roll over and groan into the pillow.

"Dr. Chang needs to test a few things, would that be alright?" my mom asks.