Chapter Eight-What came out of the Mirror

Picture of a haunted house; and famous paranormal investigator/author John Zaffis in haunted mirrors, and other things of the occult, supernatural, video to the right in the MEDIA section. Warning: It is rated PG-13 for supernatural horror themes. You must be 13 years and over to see it.

***

October 7, 1974

***

The howling wind thwarted Isley's purpose.

He shifted in his seat, then wondered if the hippies would drag him into the abyss. He hated the long haired freaks; he hated their curious lifestyles in the communes near Woodstock; he hated them altogether.

He eyed The Mioese House.

He read about the haunted place that was like Hill House in Shirley Jackson's cult 1959 novel. He had sensed an ominous density in the fetid air, as if death's rotting hands vowed to rip into his eyes...and his flesh...and devour his soul.

He stopped the car.

And he got out once he took the driver's-side door off. He shivered from the intense coldness; he shivered until he grabbed his wallet.

He locked the doors up with his keys.

Then he walked up towards the porch of the eerie house...alone.

***

The birch trees swayed to the left. On the porch were swings. Nothing seemed wrong. He felt his heart beat faster...and faster.

Then he heard a creaking noise...and he screamed as a woman smiled at him holding a queer looking Mirror in her small, right hand.

***

"Don't be alarmed, young man! I am Nellie. I see things". She let him in. Then she closed the front door.

"Sam Isley".

"You're Irish".

"Guilty".

"I meet Irish men in Dublin. And in New York. And I slept with lovers on and off. But they're all scared off when the Mirror is in the Room of Blackness".

"What...".

"The room where Black Masses are performed by using dark mirrors, dear. Evil things happened before I arrived in '63, when President Kennedy was assassinated. And when Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in '68, a lot of blood was shed. And Senator Teddy Kennedy causing that girl to die in '69...Hell, my vote for Camelot waned...just like Watergate in '72. Hell comes in all forms".

"Ah, politics is sicker than Maine".

"You're from Maine?".

"Was born in Maine. Lots of horror writers live there. Lots of stories of murder, too. And did you see the haunted dolls' case on TV?", Isley asked.

"Dolls are possessed only by Satan's minions. Of course, kids today play with Ouija board, like it's a game of fun. My sister, Eve, was possessed by a demon in '71. On her 16th birthday. She used a mirror to summon the demon from the Otherworld to our World. It was a variation on the classic exorcism scenario".

"But people have passed away during the rituals".

"Sadly, that's true".

"If your husband...?".

"I'm not married. Men leave me because I tell their fortunes. When they see the Death card, they flee".

"Jesus!".

And she didn't smile, as she placed the mirror in the far right of the room.

***

Page 9.