I beamed. "Really?"

He nodded, apparently glad that I'd responded with enthusiasm. "Rewrite the essay with the new sources, and I'll give you extra credit."

"I can do that!"

"I'm hoping it might...help you understand how you feel. You'll get an extension, also, to give you time to work on this. I'll see you tomorrow."

The way he'd called me earlier echoed in my dreams. I woke up multiple times that night.

Beau.

There had been zero affection in Ren's voice. I'd never heard him speak like that to me before. For the past few days, he'd been acting strange. He was a rollercoaster ride, with the jerkiest ups and downs I'd ever felt. I got whiplash around him. One minute he was being sweet, caring, thoughtful Ren. He'd pat my head or he'd give me a little smirk. Next second, without my even doing a thing, he'd grow cold. He wouldn't look at me or he'd leave the room without a word.

I couldn't understand him. I wondered if I ever had. Ren had been just a touch mysterious ever since we'd met. I sighed and sent Sallie a text. Is Ren ok?

She texted back immediately. She was the kind of person to do that. I'm sure he's fine. What's up?

It struck me as strange how little concern she displayed. I started typing but by the time my message was five lines long, I decided to call her. Again, she picked up immediately. "Hey, Duckling."

"How are you, Sallie?" I asked.

I could hear her amusement in her tone. "I'm just peachy. Though I'm missing you, 'lil guy."

I smiled. "Yeah, sorry. I've been going a little insane."

"Amory told me you guys have been hanging out," she said.

"We have. He's a very kind person."

"He also told me you kissed," Sallie said cheekily.

I scowled. "He did not."

"I don't think he really knew what he was doing. He probably didn't realize that most people don't want that information shared," she said.

I sighed. "It's ok. I don't mind you knowing. You're you."

"Indeed, I am," she said. "I don't know, bud. You enchanted Amory quite effectively. He hasn't found his new flavor of the month yet. Might be because of you."

"I told him I don't feel that way toward him," I said. "Or, he just knew."

She was quiet for half a second. "Yeah, I gotcha. So what's this text you sent me about?"

"I'm worried about Ren," I said. Sallie laughed. "What?" I asked, confused as to what I'd said that had struck her humor chord.

"It's just that he said the same thing to me not that long ago," she replied.

"What? That he was worried about himself?"

"No, you absolute wallaby. That he was worried about you. You two are weirdly similar. It's mysterious," she said.

"What? Wait, why is he worried about me?"

"Don't worry about it, kiddo. Just tell me why you're worried about him."

I sighed. I wasn't quite sure, to be honest. I just had a gut feeling that something was up. There was the mysterious way Liam had acted and the scratches on Ren's skin. Maybe it was just because of that. But something else felt wrong. "Sallie, does Ren ever just act strange?"