28

Hi everyone.  I want to improve my writing.   So comments really are encouraged.   How invested are you in the characters?  Do you feel emotionally involved with any? 

Again.  After todays chapter, I will be taking it down to three times a week.  Monday, Wednesday and Friday.   I'm in the UK so British time here. 

First one to comment gets a chapter dedicated to them.  If you don't want to discuss the characters.  You can just tell me who's your favourite. X

Walking in the gardens, the cool air feels good against my skin.  It's quaint and vast, walk ways lined by lavender and almost a maze made out of the shrubbery.  It's designed to be a paradise away from society.  Manicured yet wild.  And it achieves its purpose.  Because despite how tired I am, the drama I just witnessed.  I feel content.

 I enjoy being in Marcus's company.  Though yes, the bond can make him possessive and behave like an idiot around Issac sometimes;  the few times we have been just us, it's always comfortable.  No pretences.  Just myself.

After a what seems like ages, I can feel him relax and the aggression simmer down.  I keep the silence though, and give him the space he needs.  He wanted to talk, so, I'll let him.

He keeps rubbing the back of his neck, sighing and gazing at the stars. 

"I make not apologies for my actions, because I would do them again.  But, if you wish, I will offer you the truth and an explanation."

Oh, I thought it may be something different, like the meeting, rogues, etc.  But sure.  It would be nice to have that latest drama cleared up with some insight.  I guide us to a bench nearby, making sure to keep a peaceful feeling about me to share with him.  Actually.  It's quite easy to do this around him.  And I know it helps which makes me feel fulfilled.  My kidnapper turned into my friend.  Go figure.

"Go on."

He stays silent and thoughtful.  I feel immense sadness, grief and anger from him.  Something is chewing him up inside, and I have an urge to comfort him.  Though, it won't benefit him or encourage him to talk.  So I just stay silent next to him, observing the deep black sky that's littered with stars lighting up the earth the best they can.  Keep in mind though.   Patience is not one of my graces. 

"I haven't seen Anton for over 200 years.  I did not expect to ever see him again. He despises me in particular because I killed his brother.  And I did.  In cold blood.  I apologize for my behaviour in there.  I was blindsided."

Okay.  That's chilling.

"We live differently now, you have been to my clan home.  But back then, times were different.  It was harder to blend in cities, and the smell was horrendous. So some like myself, would set up our own hamlets.  We would create a human community that knew about us and would be the source of blood given willingly.  In return they would have a home, land to work, and when sick or injured in my hamlet, I would offer them my own blood to aid their healing.  I had over twenty five members then and three vampires that I had sired.  You cannot help but form an attachment to those who you live with in such a small community.  You see them fall in love, have children and grow."

That sounds.  Beautiful.  I cannot imagine the conditions some would live in diring that time.  What a lovely way to live actually.  The idea of being a blood donor doesn't bother me in the slightest, and their choices are not for me to judge especially if they were hurting no one.   Marcus has zoned out, staring blankly ahead of him.  Clearly reliving this story.   His eyes are glassy, and as he rests his head in his hands looking at the ground, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of fear, anger and sadness.

"Antons brother was a ruthless local Alpha.  He wanted to expand his land.  Instead of talking to me, he sent his warriors onto my land and slaughtered every single one of them.  I only survived because I have a gift that allows me to go unnoticed.  But I couldn't share it with anyone around me.  There were too many, and for every wolf I attacked, three more appeared.  It was over so quickly and I couldn't save anyone.  All for land.  All for so called power.  He slaughtered children, mothers, good humans who had committed no crime except live willingly with vampires in peace.  I was devastated.  I loved them like my family.  My monster took over.  I went into his home unnoticed.  I made sure he knew it was me who attacked and killed him.  He knew why and had the nerve to smile at me as I drained him.  But right in that moment his brother Anton had come running into his office and saw me.  My monster wanted his blood too, but that wasn't right.  So I tried to explain to him what his brother had done.  He wouldn't listen.  Wouldn't believe me. I had to flee, otherwise I would have fallen into my blood lust, and would have slaughtered his family."

Marcus looks more composed.  But my heart is broken for him.  To watch everyone you love be slaughtered in front of you.  I cannot and do not want to imagine what that is like.  Frankly, I would have tried to do the same.  I can't judge Marcus at all for this, though I can damn well judge Antons brother. 

"Roxy.  You are free to make your own decisions.  I promised you I would never abuse this bond, and I will honour that.  But.  I need you to be cautious around Anton.  He comes from a line of ruthless wolves who are power hungry.  They will step on everyone and everything to get what they want.  I fear he will use you, and expose you to the world for what you are.  You are special and what you can do is beautiful.  To use it in a helpful and subtle way at these proceedings is smart and noble.  But if he outs you.  If he uses you as leverage, there are vampires who will want you.  Either as their own prize, or for leverage against wolves.  I will always try to protect you.  And when you call I will always answer.  But, I cannot always be there, and that. That scares me now I know he is involved in this.  My own prejudice makes me wonder if he is behind the effort to stop wolves working with vampires.  And my instinct makes me want to take you away from here.  We are bonded.  He knows if he hurts you it will hurt me."

"You know.  For a guy who bit me.  You're really quite the softy aren't you?"  The earned me a half hearted growl.  But I can see the small smirk he has.

I reach out and take his hand forcing him to look into my eyes.

"I value your input, knowledge and experience.  My heart is broken for your loss.  And I don't know if I would have done anything different in your shoes.  I'll be careful.  I have you and Issac on my side. And my wolf and I are learning new tricks everyday.  It's going to be ok."

He leans back with a big sigh gazing at the stars with me.  Then, to my surprise he brings out a book.  A really big book.  Where the hell did that come from?

"Here.  From our library, I found a book on Peacekeepers.  It's old so please take care of it. It's written from a vampires viewpoint.  But, it's detailed, factual and has lineage history in there.  I want you to be as strong as you can be, and I figure this is a good place to start."

"Roxy, you are taking a long time, and almost all the Elders are here.  Are you safe?  I know he's your friend, but god I don't like you alone with any vampire."

I roll my eyes at Issac.  We need to work on his opinion of Marcus, because mine just became even more soft and attached to him.  He can't hide his emotions from me, and he truly only wants my safety.  There is no malice from him.   And that I trust.

"Issac says the Elders are here.  Come.  I need another coffee if I am to endure any more dominance displays."

"On my way, relax.  He's one of the good guys.  Keep that in mind.  Im grabbing a coffee, you want one?"

"Mmm... I don't like you alone with him.   I have a coffee for you already.  Drawing room on the ground level."

"Come.  Let's go see what the Elders want.  Stay close to me if it makes you feel calmer."

We make our way back to the building, and I wonder when on earth I will actually make it into a bed.  This night is never ending.