Chapter 12: Severus' Story

Sipping his brandy, Severus stared deep into the fire, watching the flames lick the blackened brick as he contemplated everything he had heard today coupled with everything he knew about Harry. His mind wandered back to that faithful day in Albus' office where the man had asked him to take in the battered Potter teen as his own. He knew Albus had been surprised with his easy acceptance of the situation, but Albus was unaware that he and Harry had made peace during the first task of the Tri-wizard tournament when Severus had realized what the first task was and his fear for Lily's son had outweighed his anger at the James Potter look-alike that had haunted Hogwarts halls for the last three years.
It hadn't been a burden for Severus to let Harry into his life and subsequently into his heart. He had been apprehensive at first, while he liked the teen, he hadn't been sure he was father material, not by a long shot. But after seeing Harry lying in the Hospital wing, his thin body dwarfed by the large bed, his dark bruises standing out against his pale skin. It had literally touched and then broken his cold heart as he learned of the trauma that the teen suffered at the hands of his relatives. Watching the trial and overhearing everything had totally stunned him and horrified him and now he was more worried about Harry then ever.

Sighing, Severus took a sip of his brandy relishing the liquid burning down his throat as he continued to stare into the flames, thinking back to Harry's fourth year.

-Flash Back-

Severus stalked down the cobbled hallways of Hogwarts, resisting the urge to laugh as students and visitors alike immediately cleared a path for the 'dungeon bat'. His dragon-hide boots made no noise on the stones of the corridor which he enjoyed immensely because it gave him an added advantage when sneaking up on students. Minerva thought he was ridiculous, but he enjoyed the little things in life, such as terrifying students.

Walking rapidly, he frowned as he heard quiet sobbing coming from an empty classroom. Intent on going in and punishing whatever student was inside. Not that there was anything against being inside an empty classroom, students often used them for studying. Severus just wanted to take out his aggression on someone, the added stress of this bloody tournament was wearing his already limited patience thin.

Shoving the door open, he was more the surprised to be greeted with the tear streaked face of one Harry Potter.
"Mr. Potter what are you doing in here?" Severus asked his tone dry, yet not as scathing as it normally was when addressing the teen. He had never seen the Potter boy so upset and he was intrigued.
"N-Nothing Professor" The dark haired teen stammered hastily scrubbing at his eyes and trying to stem the flow of tears, his nose dripped slightly as he sniffled, causing Severus to arch an eyebrow and transfigure a piece of scrap paper into a handkerchief.
"Here" He said, thrusting the piece of fabric at the teen, a frown on his face.
"Th-thanks" Potter murmured, blowing his nose lightly and mopping up his face, trying to remove all evidence of his tears.
"Now Mr. Potter perhaps you would like to tell me what has you so upset" Severus said, sitting down and gesturing for Harry to do the same.
Harry's dark eyebrows rose in surprise, he had obviously expected to be ridiculed or tossed in detention by his least favorite professor.
"It's nothing Professor" Harry murmured in a subdued voice. He clearly had no desire to discuss what was bothering him.
"Mr. Potter, something has clearly upset you enough to seek out an abandoned classroom in order to vent your feelings" Severus said with in a silky tone.
Harry let out a sigh, and Severus was struck by how much, in that moment, the teen reminded him of Lily. He remembered comforting Lily in the same classroom years ago, her green eyes had sparkled with tears and her cheeks had been flushed with embarrassment, exactly like Harry looked at that moment. It was like the realization hit him all at once, Harry Potter was not James Potter nor was he Lily, though he, in that moment resembled her. Harry was his own person, a young boy thrust into a far to dangerous life, who was clearly upset about something and had no one to talk too.
"Mr. Potter, Harry" He said, his tone suddenly soft and kind, "Please tell me what's bothering you" He said, watching with mild amusement as Harry's green eyes shot open as he looked at Severus in shock.
"I-I just found out what the first task is" Harry murmured, "Dragons" He shuddered, "How can I fight a dragon?" He sighed exhaustedly, looking a lot more beaten then a fourteen year old should ever look. "Ron's mad at me, he won't even look at me since he thinks I entered myself in this stupid tournament and Hermione only tells me to study and I'll be fine" The teen said, more tears rolling down his cheeks as he began to feel the stress again. Suddenly Harry looked terrified, his green eyes staring at Snape with fear. Severus could tell exactly what the teen was thinking, Harry had just spilled his heart out to his most hated Professor, the man who had made his life miserable for three years. The teen paled, his breath beginning to come out in short gasps as the horror and fear of what he'd just said caught up with him. Severus immediately leapt up, gently tilting Harry forward and rubbing his back.
"Breath Harry, its fine, breath" He said, trying to keep his tone light and soothing. After a few moments, Harry began to calm, his breath evening out as he looked at Severus, still shocked.
"P-Professor?" He mumbled, looking confused.
"It's fine Harry, relax" Severus said, still rubbing the boy's back. He sighed, having realized that he'd nearly alienated the last living link to Lily that he had. He had nearly destroyed her son with his cruelty and he wasn't going to do that. He was going to fix his relationship with Harry, he couldn't let his prejudice for James Potter ruin his remaining link with Lily.
"Sir?"Harry's tone was surprised though he seemed pleased.