Chapter 9: Two Steps Forward One Step Back

The next few weeks flew by, it seemed as the school year neared a close, the time was going by quicker. It was the last week of February, and amazingly things had been going relatively well.
Of course, when things are going well, disaster always seems to strike.

Severus read over the letter that had been delivered that morning via a large, official looking owl. The edges of the parchment were wrinkled were his fingers had bit into paper, and a frown creased his features. It seemed the Ministry was calling for a trial of the Dursley family and Harry would be required to testify. The trial was set for the middle of March, giving them plenty of time to 'fetch Harry from the United States' as the letter read. Cursing, Severus shoved the letter away, wondering what to do. Harry had to testify, Cornelius was insisting upon it, and Severus knew the boy was not ready for that. He raked his fingers through his greasy hair, waiting for the inevitable flaring of his floo as Albus came through. He wasn't required to wait long, soon the Headmaster was seated across from him, sipping tea and looking troubled.

"Have you spoken to Harry yet?" Albus asked, his blue eyes tired as he regarded the young potions' master.
"No, not yet" Severus murmured, sipping his own tea. Silver was off with Blaise and the other fifth year Slytherins in the Common Room. It was saturday and the kids were all celebrating after a hard week.
"He has to testify" Albus murmured, "The whole case relies on him talking and telling what happened. Poppy will also testify, as well as myself and you" The old man twirled his wand in his bent fingers absentmindedly. Severus nodded, a small frown on his face, though he understood the necessity of him speaking.
"The trial will be closed, correct?" Severus clarified, the trial needed to be closed for safety circumstances. He, himself, could only testify as long as the Dark Lord didn't find out. And the guise of Harry being in the US also needed to be maintained.
"Yes, not only for safety, but because Harry is underage and this is a sexual assault and abuse trial" Albus explained, fingers cradling the fragile tea cup.
"I don't know if Harry can handle this Albus, he hasn't really acknowledge what happened. He hides in his animagus form" The dark-haired man sighed, "I can't blame him for that though, he is so young, and suffered so much" He looked down into the dregs of his mug, before returning his gaze to Albus.
"Harry is strong Severus, he will do this" Albus murmured, "In the meantime, I will make the necessary steps to 'bring him home' from the US, no one must know what is going on. Unfortunately, Dolores has been informed and is hounding me about bringing Harry to Hogwarts" He sighed, "We have to keep him hidden, only appearing for the trial" The elderly man said with a miserable expression.
"Could Blaise perhaps come?" Severus asked suddenly, "Under a glamour charm or Polyjuice of course" He added quickly.
"Blaise Zabini? Why?" Albus asked curiously, wondering why Severus would want one of his snakes to attend the Dursleys trial.
"Blaise and Harry are a couple. You recall that Harry revealed himself to Pansy and Blaise on christmas. Well, Blaise has been extremely supportive of Harry and the two have formed a very deep connection. Blaise might be able to help Harry cope with the stress and emotions of the trial" Sev explained, re-filling his mug and taking a deep sip of the steaming liquid.
"Perhaps, we will have to come up with an excuse as to why Mr. Zabini is gone during the trial however" Albus murmured, "I shall think of something" He set his empty mug on the table.
"Sirius is insisting that Harry stay at Grimmauld place for the duration of the trial. How he found out about it, is beyond me" Albus murmured, "However, Harry will need to stay somewhere during this time, as the school will not be safe for him" He looked at Severus with a pained expression, knowing the relationship between the two men.
"I suppose, Harry would enjoy seeing his godfather and the werewolf, but I don't know how they'll react to Blaise. Black is extremely opposed to all things Slytherin"
"I'll handle that Severus, in the meantime, perhaps you need to talk to Harry, prepare him for what is coming. He will need all the support he can get" Albus murmured, rising slowly from his chair and heading to the floo. He had no desire to walk to his room from Severus' dungeon quarters.
"I shall, thank you Albus" Severus murmured, watching the old man leave before scowling miserable at the tea still residing on the table.
"Damn" He groaned, just when things were going alright too.