Chapter 6: The New Year

Dolores Umbridge was frustrated. She had been at Hogwarts for just over four months and nothing the Ministry wanted to come to fruition had happened yet. Harry Potter was training in some American facility and Dumbledore refused to give her the name of it, even though she'd demanded it. She needed to get control of Potter, Cornelius had practically demanded it of her, and who was she to refuse the Minister of Magic. She knew what Cornelius' plan was, and she had to admit she agreed with it. He wanted to prove that Harry had suffered abuse at the hands of those damn Muggles that Dumbledore had insisted placing the boy with, then once this was proven, Potter would become a ward of the Ministry and they could place him in whatever home they deemed fit. Of course, Cornelius had worked out who Potter would be placed with and subsequently married off to. The crux was, this whole plan only worked if they got ahold of Potter before he was of age, which was just two years away, less then that actually. If he hit seventeen without being under Ministry control, there was nothing they could do.

HP/SS

Harry and Severus had spent the remainder of the Holidays cooped up in Severus' chambers, except for times when they had to leave for lunch or to visit with the remaining Slytherins. However, now that students were returning from the Holidays, Severus had to resume his more normal duties and Harry had immediately -and gratefully- reverted back to his animagus form. Severus was still worried that Harry really wasn't coping with what had happened to him and his issues, though he wasn't willing to push the child just yet. Despite being fifteen years old, mentally Harry was much younger due to lack of affection and gross negligence and abuse growing up. Blaise had helped tons with Harry, spending time with the boy, talking to him. Harry still hadn't fully explained everything to his two new Slytherin friends, but Severus knew his snakes suspected how deep the abuse ran.

Severus was relieved that Harry did have Blaise, he knew there was something beyond friendship occurring between the two boys, but Severus wasn't sure what. On some level Blaise was like Harry's over protective older brother, but that analogy just wouldn't work when he saw that simple affection went a lot deeper between the two boys. Either way, Severus was just relieved that Harry had someone to talk to and to take care of him that wasn't just Severus. Not that Severus resent Harry needing him quite the opposite actually, but Harry needed someone else as well.

"Doing your rounds Severus?" Pomona's voice sounded from behind him. Turning the 'dungeon bat' nodded his head.
"As is my duty as a house head" He drawled, eyeing the dumpy woman before offering her a small smile.
"Ah yes, the duties of being a house head" The woman mused, returning the smile lightly. "Albus asked me to relieve you, he mentioned something about your familiar being ill still and that you didn't like being away from him long" She said when Severus arched an eyebrow, a silent hint to 'get on with it'.
"Ah, yes he's still a bit out of it from his little dip in the lake" Severus felt his lips twist into a sneer.
"Poor dear, well I'm here now Severus. You best keep an eye on that little kitten. Minerva was telling me that she overheard Dolores was going on about his safety again"
"Lovely" Severus muttered, nodding his head in thanks to Pomona before heading back towards the Slytherin Common room where he knew Silver was playing with Blaise.

HP/SS

Severus walked into the common room, instantly noticing his group of Slytherin fifth years sprawled over the furniture in front of the main fire place. He could hear Draco's soft laughter paired with Pansy's giggles and Blaise's much more deep chuckle. Obviously something had amused the group immensely. Theodore Nott was nearby, along with Crabbe, Goyle and Daphne Greengrass. He was happy to see the tight knit group though, especially being so relaxed. It was inside the safety of the common room that his students could truly relax and become themselves, and it was rather enjoyable to see. He watched as Blaise shifted, the tall Italian teen was lying on his side in front of the fire, giving him his first view of his little familiar. The little kitten was bouncing around, playfully attacking Blaise's fingers along with a few conjured toys it seemed. The dark haired teen was laughing as Silver batted at his hands and it seemed the others were laughing at Silver's antics.
"Hello Professor" A voice sounded from beside his elbow and he glanced down, smiling lightly as he saw a second year by the name of Michelle Canterbury. Her older brother had graduated in a few years previous and he had always liked the children of the Canterbury family.
"Hello Miss Canterbury" Severus responded, flicking his eyes up from the girl to the group of fifth years.
"What are you doing here Professor? I thought you were coming by for weekly discussions tomorrow night" The girl mused.
"I am coming tomorrow night as well Miss Canterbury, I'm just here to collect my wayward familiar" He nodded at the playful silver coated kitten.
"Oh" The girl grinned suddenly. "He cuddled with me today Professor" She confined. "Everyone says he only really likes the fifth years, especially Blaise. But while I was sitting doing my Transfiguration homework he came over and crawled in my lap" The girl's blue eyes were dancing with delight at her statement, and Severus grinned in return.
"I'm happy he's branching out. I'm sure he'll play with you much more now that he knows you better" He said, smiling as the girl waved and bounced away to join her friends. Yes this was why he liked the common room so much, it was the one place his snakes could be normal, happy children as opposed to the masks they presented the rest of the school. Walking over to the fifth years he seated himself next to Draco, nodding his greetings to his students.
"Hello Professor" Pansy greeted from where she was seated across from him.
"Miss Parkinson" The dark haired man intoned, turning his eyes to watch Silver and Blaise. The kitten was clearly worn out as he had curled up on Blaise's stomach and was sound asleep. Blaise had rolled onto his back a few minutes before when Silver had started using his lanky frame as a playground.
"I guess he wore himself out" Severus mused, watching as Blaise rubbed behind the small ears with a grin.
"He was rather rambunctious Professor" Blaise murmured, "He's still favoring his leg a bit though" The teen added, knowing his Professor would want to know that Silver was still in a bit of pain.
"I'll give him some mild pain potion later, hopefully that will help a bit" Severus murmured lightly, he despised how long it seemed to take his adopted son to heal. All the abuse Harry had suffered previously added up, and it seemed even with the help of spells and potions Harry's accumulated abuse led to longer healing periods since the potions and spells targeted everything as opposed to the immediate injury. Blaise nodded in understanding, knowing that the injury went beyond Silver and into Harry.
"I'll take him now Blaise, he should get some rest in our chambers" The Potion's Master murmured. The teen nodded, carefully lifting the kitten and handing him to his house head.
"Can I come by your office later Professor? I've been having some trouble with the latest Transfiguration assignment and I'd like to discuss it with you" Blaise asked.
"Of course, come by in about half an hour, that should give us enough time to talk before curfew" Severus murmured, cradling Silver to his chest as the kitten mewed in sleepy protest at the movement.
"See you then Professor" Blaise murmured, watching as the man left along with Silver.
"I didn't know you were having problems with Transfiguration Blaise" Draco murmured, giving his friend a look.
"Not a lot of trouble, I just have a question about McGonagall's essay and I have no desire to brave the Lion's den in order to speak with her" Blaise said, shrugging his shoulders as he stood up and stretched.
"I'd better gather my stuff, Professor Snape hates waiting" Blaise added, heading towards the shared fifth year boys dorm room.
"Right" Draco murmured, his eyebrows furrowing. The blonde was confused, Blaise was an awesome student and rarely needed help. Plus McGonagall's essay was fairly simple, so why would Blaise need help with it? Shrugging, the blonde pushed the questions to the back of his mind for now and turned his attention to the conversation going on between Pansy and Daphne about the latest fashions for the coming spring.