35

After what was probably the twentieth pit-stop, we finally made it on the road long enough for me to notice the familiar surroundings of my hometown start to pass us by

After what was probably the twentieth pit-stop, we finally made it on the road long enough for me to notice the familiar surroundings of my hometown start to pass us by. Growing up here was nothing special, but having Lexi made all the difference in the world.

My brother and I switched back and forth between our parents constantly when they lived in the same county limits, and it was an absolute nightmare. The fact that Lexi's parents were just as bad, but in different ways made us closer as we grew up together in different, but toxic households.

Being back here brings back a lot of good memories, but also a lot of bad. We pass by the place that Lexi and I first met, and we pass by the place that I ran to when I first found out about my dad's extra-marital affairs.

Reece is happy as can be, with the windows down and his hand on my leg, and I try to save face and act like I'm happy that I'm back, if not for myself, for Reece. I tell him the directions to the hotel that we booked in town because there is no way in hell that I am staying at my dad's house and going to this wedding. No, Reece and I will be spending quality time together up until the wedding actually starts. I'm not looking to do extra credit.

Reece drives the car into the parking lot of the hotel, both of us quiet but I no longer feel dread when I think about spending time in my hometown, only excitement that I get more time to spend with Reece, letting him in and taking him to the places that influenced my life.

Reece's blinding smile is sent my way when we get out of the car, not worrying about our bags for now and just getting ourselves checked in. We're each given a key and we take the stairs to get to the third floor, having had enough sitting around for one day. With Reece's long legs, he makes it to the floor much sooner than me but waits at the top with an arm out, which I gladly walk into and he proceeds to wrap it around my shoulder.

We walk together to our room with my body pressed into his, feeling his warmth and embracing it as always. It takes Reece four tries to finally get the door to open, with me giggling the whole time as he gets more and more frustrated, laughing embarrassedly.

The room is nothing special, a bedroom with a queen-sized bed, a desk, a dresser with a t.v. on top, and a small bathroom with a larger shower but no tub. I smirk at the sight of the shower. Definitely big enough for two. When I come out of the bathroom, I smile when I see Reece laying face-down on the bed with the lower half of his legs hanging off.

"Come on big boy," I say, attempting to drag him off but to no avail. Reece groans and doesn't try to get up.

"Now that's a good nickname," He says sarcastically, mumbling into the comforter. I roll my eyes and drape myself on top of him gently, hugging him with both my arms and legs. "Mhmm," He moans into the mattress as if my body weight is just what he needs, and I know that he just likes my presence.

"Do you want to go get a bite to eat?" I ask softly, speaking directly into his ear. He shakes his head. "Do you want to order in?" He taps his nose. I climb off to grab the phone, ordering a pizza for each of us. When I turn around, Reece is sitting up at the end of the bed and watching me, so I walk over and wrap my arms around his neck, craving his nearness. Our foreheads and noses are touching, our lips only a hair's breadth away from one another's.

"I like you," Reece says looking into my eyes but too close to me to focus. His eyes say something much more meaningful, and I have to stop myself from saying the words that race in my mind like a digital billboard at a sports game.

Ever since I met Reece, I knew what good friends we'd be from the start, but that idea of being in another relationship after my first one failed so spectacularly was scary. I wouldn't have thought that trying was worth the risk before, but I know now that the real risk is in not trying with him. I know who makes me happiest in the world. I know who would do anything for me, and I for him.

If I had tried to stay friends with him all along, I'm sure that one of us would have crumbled, but I don't need to think about that, because that isn't what happened. I'm glad things played out the way they did because I like where we are now. Right now.

Now, the smile that graces my face is completely genuine as I think about the future while looking at mine. I think I've known how Reece has felt about me for a while, but it's not easy to admit to yourself when you can't reciprocate identical feelings. At least I hope he feels the same way because I think I love him.

No.

I know I love him.

Looking into Reece's expressive, forest green eyes. I know how I feel. There's no mistaking the feeling in the pit of my stomach. There's no misunderstanding of my constant reaction to being near him, and my constant need to be close to him.

I fell hard and fast for Reece Langley, and although I know he cares deeply for me, I'm not entirely sure that he's on my level.