Sorting the Vermin

In Lana's city the next morning...

Thundercracker flew low above the burning city. Though it looked just like all the others they had decimated before, this one stung him more in the circuits. It had been Lana's home and now it was nothing but ruins. Had he not removed Lana before all of this came to pass she would've been among the scores of casualties. But she was safe for now.

It was then Megatron's voice dominated the Decepticon communique network, "Decepticons spread out and round up the human survivors immediately. Find them, capture them alive, and bring them to these coordinates."

So it had begun; the next step in the conquering phase. First, lay waste to the planet's strongholds and destroy their armed forces. Second, knock out all communications so the conquered would fall into scattered disarray. Then, round up the survivors for enslavement. It was the basic formula for conquest and every Decepticon was programmed with it. Thundercracker could only thank Primus Megatron hadn't instigated the "Extermination Protocol" as he so very easily could've done. But the Decepticon leader knew to harvest the vast resources of the planet he'd need hordes of slaves to do so. Some of the humans would live, but only to serve the Decepticon Empire.

Thundercracker had no qualms about fighting for their cause, nor did he mind attaining the resources they needed to get themselves home, but the manner it which it was being achieved made him feel unworthy. He was a Seeker, an elite soldier of the Decepticon High Command. Fighting and carry out Megatron's commands was an honor, but being ordered to butcher a species that could barely defend itself—he couldn't accept that as a just cause of action.

Thundercracker veered away from the city, knowing his fellow Decepticons would be carrying out the capturing orders. He, on the other hand, had other matters to attend to—matters he dreaded confronting.

...

Everything was so quiet. The night had been filled with explosions and distant rumblings and now in the crisp light of morning not even a bird could be heard. Lana sat huddled in the mineshaft entrance her eyes bloodshot from sleeplessness and crying. She shivered, wanting desperately to bathe in the new sun, but couldn't bring herself to leave the protection of the mine.

She looked out. Morning seemed so ironic. How cheerfully the sky gleamed; the cold dew twinkling on the rocks of the quarry like diamonds. Everything was beautiful and renewed. But on the horizon the blemish of smoke against the sky only reminded the young woman of the night's destruction. Lana shivered again. She knew she could've ran at any time, could've run anywhere, but she remained frozen to the ground unable to move. Her mind was the only thing moving; rolling and bucking with waves of confusion, rage, and betrayal.

What was going to happen to her? What would happen to the human race? How many of her friends lay dead in the city rubble? Did anyone survive?

Lana's throat was so raw from crying she just didn't have the energy to do it anymore.

Then she heard the distant rumble of a jet bouncing off the quarry walls. Immediately her body reacted. She clamored to her rubbery legs and moved as far back into the tunnel as she was able. Unfortunately she couldn't get out of sight of the entrance since the mine had been sealed. She pushed against the rubble that barred her admittance but she knew there was no hiding. She would have to face him.

...

Thundercracker circled the quarry a couple times before transforming and landing where he'd left Lana the night before.

"Lana? I'm back."

He wasn't sure if she was even there anymore. The big Decepticon carefully approached the ledge that led into the tunnel and bent over to peek inside. His supreme vision instantly found the young woman huddled in the back.