the end of the world part one

A/N: ahhh one more after this!! tonight i'm gonna post the first chapter of a new billie book that i've been wanting to start for a while. tomorrow i'll post the last chapter of this one, and from then on i'll be going back and forth between the sequel (robbers) and my new book :)

~

If the end of the world was near, where would you choose to be?

Billie's POV:

Finneas parks the car near the opposite entrance where the guards come in, and signals for me to wait before opening the door. He pulls out a second gun that I hadn't seen until this moment, and places this one in my lap for me to carry. I don't want it, because I don't entirely trust myself with it. I know that if anyone tried to get between me and Hannah, I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger for even a second.

"It's just in case," Fin adds, noticing my cheeks losing their color. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he checks with me, but the words go in one ear and out the other.

"What do you mean?" I murmur, not taking my eyes off the gun laying untouched on top of my knees.

"I mean, are you sure she's worth whatever could happen? Are you ready for the possibility of losing everything? Because if you're not, tell me now," Finneas drills and I look out the window at the prison. All that's really keeping us apart is a wall and some people with guns. But I have one too.

"You don't get it, though. She's in there because we love each other, so who would I be if I let her pay for the both of us? Hannah never believed me when I said we're equal, and I need to show her I meant it," I confess, and he squeezes my hand. I close my eyes until I'm sure that I won't cry, and go on.

"I always meant it."

"Then let's do this," Finneas pulls away, opening his door, slipping his gun in his waistband. I linger back for a few seconds, finally taking the gun in hand, I shove it in my pocket and grab the bag at my feet.

Hannah's POV:

"Hannah."

I open my eyes and jerk awake, swearing I heard her voice like it was right in front of me. The days in here blend together that I spend so much time in my head I don't know how to feel real anymore.

"Hannah!"

I spin around and see Billie grinning at me in an excited, yet terrified kind of way. I run to her and feel her hands slip through the space in the bars to hold onto mine, only for a second. She opens up her fist and reveals a key and my jaw drops.

"What--"

"We gotta hurry, mamas, we don't have a lot of time. Fin paid off one of the guards to give us the key and leave the exit empty," Billie whispers while turning the key in the lock, the sound of it opening is some kind of magic close to the heaven when she sings to me. When there's nothing separating us anymore, I stand frozen, not sure what's supposed to happen next.

"Quick, put these on," Billie rips open her bag and tosses me a sweatshirt and pants. My fingers tremble as I ditch the ugly uniform and feel at home again, wrapped up in the soft touch of her clothes. There's nothing better than coming home after thinking for so long that it no longer existed. I turn back to face her, kicking my old clothes under the bed, and she looks at me without a smile, but I can see it in the seriousness in her eyes.

I run up to her and jump with my eyes closed, trusting that she'll be there to catch and hold me close, and I feel waves of relief when her arms wrap around me

I run up to her and jump with my eyes closed, trusting that she'll be there to catch and hold me close, and I feel waves of relief when her arms wrap around me. My head falls to the side, slipping in to place in the crook of her neck, and I pepper it in kisses before she drops me back down to the ground. Her hands slide up from my waist to cradle my face in her palms. She bites back her bottom lip until shaking her head a little and letting herself smile. My hand tightens around the collar of her hoodie and I drag her close enough to kiss. I forget where we are and remember what I was missing all in a couple seconds. The feeling I get with her is like the rush of a first high, one that no matter how hard you search, you can't duplicate. Except with Billie, I can.

If there was five more minutes of air-- would you panic and hide? Or run for your life?

"Hannah, I'm so fucking sorry," she breaks away and her voice splinters to pieces. I balance my forehead on hers and smile ever so slightly.

"Don't be, okay?"

She nods, her head against mine, and pulls away, yet keeps her hand wrapped around mine, the other holding something in her pocket.

She drags me out of the cell and we jog down the hall until we get to a door and she pauses, putting a finger to her lips. Then she knocks twice, and it flings open, Finneas on the other side looking relieved.

"What took so long?" he mumbles and I bite back a grin but Billie just shrugs, and he rolls his eyes and shoots me a wink.

"Missed you," he smiles while ruffling my hair and I almost burst into tears, forgetting how welcomed I felt with her family that became mine. I feel no more guilt about leaving my parents because they were never the definition of a family, and I realize now you can make it whoever you want it to be.

Then he opens the door for us to get through and we walk down another hall, one that I've never been allowed in before. Fin leads us to turn, the daylight shining through from windows surrounding the exit. I breathe out shakily, and Billie senses my fear and squeezes my hand tighter, reminding me I'm not alone anymore. She came back for me.

"Hey, you--" a voice that doesn't belong to any of us makes us freeze. I keep my head down as Finneas turns around to nod and walk towards the guard that I'm guessing wasn't one he paid off.

"We're just visiting," he says with a smile and the guard starts to back away, but then squints at Billie and steps closer.

"You," he snarls and I quickly put myself in front of her and glare at him, scrunching my eyebrows. His face burns red when he recognizes me too, and he pulls out a gun faster than I can blink. At the same time, I feel Billie from behind me slip something into my hand. I brush my fingers over it and realize with horror what it is. I keep it behind me, not wanting to risk bringing it out into the open.

"I know what you are," he snaps and raises the barrel, at the same time I clench my hand over my own gun and start to take it out from behind. But then he changes the direction that he points it, from me, to Finneas.

"You let them think it was okay," the guard continues, and Fin raises his hands up, and I start to reconsider, hiding the gun behind my back again. He can't shoot any of us if we don't show a weapon, so I hold back. But I feel Billie's breath sting at the back of my neck, like there's no more air left in the building. It's almost as if her holding my hand is pulling my fear into her and pushing her strength into me.

Or stand here and spend them with me?

I wait for the guard to match our movements and lower his gun, but his eyes are filled with fire that's not fading any time soon. But he can't shoot with Fin's hands up, he can't do that...

I hear Billie scream before the sound of the trigger pulling back and the resounding boom that erupts from a gun that I'm not sure is mine or his. But her hands shake my shoulders and I snap out of it, realizing the gun is still behind my back, and the guards is moving towards me, done with Finneas. I can't freeze but it's all my body wants to do. I fight through my instincts, when I feel Billie's lips brush against my ear, whispering:

"Do it."