talk

chapter song inspo: talk, khalid

"Can we just talk? Figure out where we're goin'?"

Hannah's POV:

Panicking, I throw my phone to the edge of the bed. I pinch my wrist three times and flinch at the little shock of pain, but at least I know I'm not dreaming. A million questions bombard my thoughts and my heart's beating way too fast to get a grip. I wanted this to happen so bad, but now that it is, I have no idea how to react. How come I didn't think this far ahead when I imagined it before? Fuck.

With shaky fingers, I pick up my phone, squeeze my eyes shut as I click on the notification. Before I look at it, my heart sinks as I wonder if this is a mistake. Just because she messaged me doesn't mean she wants me. Whatever, I rip off the band-aid and open my eyes.

billieeilish: hannah?

Oh god, well that doesn't tell me much, but it still sends shivers down my spine, like I can hear her voice in my head saying my name. I breathe out and respond right away before I change my mind.

hannnah.h: billie?

I just mirror my own message with hers, playing it safe. I wait and watch as she types, struggling to breathe I feel dizzy and nauseous. A huge smile takes over my face at her next message that I have to grab my pillow and scream into it for a solid five seconds before I can respond.

billieeilish: dude. i'm just gonna say it ig n if you don't feel the same pretend i never said shit: i can't get you out of my damn mind. seriously bro wtf did you do to me???

hannah.h: omg so i'm not going crazy, you're feeling this too?

billieeilish: nah

Shit. What was I then? Why text me just to mess with me like this? I feel tears start to sting in the corners of my eyes and they blur out her next message. I wipe them away and let out a sigh of relief when I read it.

billieeilish: ofc i'm feeling it like shIT! idk what to do anymore tbh.. it's like each day i only miss u more. ahh sorry idek you...

She misses me too. I--what? I convinced myself for so long that this was one-sided, everything she says feels like a dream but also a lie. I decide to just go for it with the next text, and if she doesn't... I don't know, all I can do is be honest and maybe I'll get her back.

hannah.h: so get to know me ;)

~

Billie's POV:

Finneas squeals, looking over my shoulder as I text Hannah, and I bury my face in his shoulder.

"Damnnn she's bold, I'll give her that," he observes, giving me a look that says 'go get her' but also 'you need to be careful.' I don't want to think about consequences right now, I just want her. No, need her.

I wait to respond, talking it through with Finneas how to get her here, since we're on tour. He warns about me getting distracted but realizes her not being here is the thing distracting me. Once we've worked out a plan I look back at my phone, breathing in sharply at the message I missed.

hannah.h: sorry, was that too much? i'm sorry if i messed this up...

I curse under my breath and quickly start typing out a rough idea of how to get her here and all that, hitting send as soon as I finish. I nervously scratch the back of my hand with my fake nails while she starts typing.

hannah.h: i don't know, i don't want to be a burden and idk if i can just up and leave, you know?

billieeilish: i promise i'll make it worth your time. just please, say you'll come. i'm literally on both my knees for you

She types and then stops for at least two minutes, if she says no I'll honestly be crushed. She has to be saying no, why else would she be taking so long to answer? I look up at the ceiling and blink back tears, trying not to feel anything until I have a reason. Finneas nudges me as my phone vibrates in my hand.

hannah.h: okay, i'll come :)

~

Hannah's POV:

The flight attendant's voice fills the plane over the loudspeaker, announcing that the plane is beginning its descent to the JFK International airport. Billie told me someone would be waiting to pick me up, that they'd know me when they saw me. It's a little bit easier knowing she's not going to be there right away, so it gives me more time to try and calm down. I definitely need to.

When the plane finally lands, I pull out my earbuds and grab my carry-on, heading out. I feel way too nervous, but I try to remind myself that she won't be there right away, I really need to fucking chill.

I take my first steps into the airport, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people, all looking like they know exactly where they are going. I start to feel anxious, like all I can do is just wait for whoever is supposed to find me, and everything feels too out of control. Shutting my eyes, I inhale when I feel two fingers tap my shoulder, and electricity turns my body numb. I turn around and stumble backward at the blue eyes looking back at me.

"Hey," Billie whispers, flipping her hair over her shoulder and biting back her smooth bottom lip. I stand frozen, not expecting this at all. I thought I'd feel uncomfortable but I've never felt more at ease. But I still don't move, not sure where to go from here.

"H-"

She cuts me off by running up to me, crashing into my chest as she wraps her arms around my waist. I lean into her hug, and my feet lift off the ground so the tips of my toes drag across the ground while she spins me in a little circle. Everything with her feels too surreal.

Billie lets me back down but keeps one hand on my waist, using the other to push back some light-brown strands of hair that fell in front of my face.

"That's better," she smiles, making me weak, along with her touch and how close together we're standing. A deeper voice from behind her interrupts us.

"Billie, not here..." he warns, nodding at me with a smirk as I peek over her shoulder to look at her brother. She rolls her eyes but pulls back a little from me. I must not have hid my small frown well enough because as we start to walk she leans in, lips brushing my ear.

"We got time, mamas."