come back home

chapter song inspo: come back home, lauv

"Sometimes you have to go, trade your heart for bones, to know you need to come back home."

Billie's POV:

"Billie, are you even listening?" my mom nudges me, filling me in on travel plans for the next tour spots. She's stupid if she thinks I'm going anywhere without knowing where Hannah is.

"No, not really."

She starts repeating herself when my phone starts buzzing, and she glares at me while I leap up from the table to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Billie, it's Hannah."

Fuck.

"Hannah what the fuck, you just up and leave and never come back and then hit me up like everything's fin--" I grit my teeth and just start spewing all the angry thoughts I didn't realize were there.

"Everything's not fine! I'm on a bus and borrowing someone's phone just to call you so I can explain," she continues, speaking a million miles a minute. I'm honestly beyond relieved to hear from her but the inner bitch in me is trying to close me off, forcing me to act pissed when I'm really glad to hear her voice again.

"So explain then."

"So I went out to surprise you but then the cops found me and my parents made me come back and my phone died and then we fought and they--"

"Hold up, slow down, okay?" I tell her, trying to get a clearer picture of everything. She breathes out shakily, which only makes me wish I was there to hold her hand and calm her down.

"Okay... so we fought and my mom destroyed my phone. Then my dad came into my room and basically told me I was horrible for you being my soulmate," Hannah pauses and I suck in a breath. I didn't want the first time admitting we're soulmates to be like this. My hands ball up into fists I wish I could use against her parents.

"So, then he... he ripped up a drawing I did of you and hit me--"

"He fucking did what," I snap, my temperature rises a hundred degrees and I can't keep calm anymore, I need to break something. I look around and find a glass of water on the edge of the table and throw it against the wall, ignoring my mom shouting to see if everything's okay.

"Billie, just listen. Then he said he's going to report us in the morning. You have to meet me somewhere, or I don't know. I don't know what to do..." she trails off, her words get cut off between sniffles. I hate what they're doing to Hannah; I'll hurt anyone that hurts her.

"Go back home," I say after a long silence on the line.

"W-what? Why would I--"

"Just go home."

I hang up the phone before I say anything else. I'm seeing red everywhere, and I can't concentrate like this. I know what I have to do.

Hannah's POV:

"Billie?" I whisper, even though I know she hung up.

She hung up on me.

I'm on a bus to find my way back to her, and she tells me to go home, and hangs up. I murmur a 'thank you' as I hand the phone back to the lady I borrowed it from, and she shoots me a pitiful smile.

I don't know what I did wrong. I replay the call in my head, until it makes sense in a way I wish it didn't. Billie heard me say they're going to report us, and she doesn't want to get caught and lose everything. So she tells me to go home so that I lose enough for the both of us.