C H A P T E R . ➊ : here at last

❦ She is a queen,

     Her soul is royalty. 

.........................................

This is it.

          I felt the car gradually stop and glanced out of my window. We're here. A grandiose, marble sculpted palace laid in front of my eyes. I took a deep breath and admired it as I heard the chauffeur call from the front seat,

" Welcome to your new school, Miss Huxly."

I nodded in recognition and grasped the limousine's handle. Trinity- Kingsburry was one of the most prestigious schools you could find, a place for the president's daughter or the son of a multi-billion dollar corporation, not a fresh out of Brooklyn senior who didn't even know the difference between a luncheon knife and the plastic ones you find at McDonald's! 

My mom insisted I learn all about the cutlery and etiquette before coming here. It was hard at first, and it was quite ridiculous. A spoon stays a spoon.

I pushed the door open and elegantly stepped out, or should I say, I jumped out and headed for the main entrance. I skipped excitedly on the stone steps and arrived at last. My new school. I braced myself for something terrible, like a zombie or a tap dancing brat, but to my surprise, nothing.

Ok, nothing scary. But it sure was something else. There was a fountain in the middle of a grand intrance. No way, an actual fountain! Not the cheap kind but an antique one. I always loved them, which seemed crazy to my friends back in Brooklyn, but what can I say? I do love a nice fountain.

I ran over, gushing girlishly, and dipped my hand in the cool water. Now this is definitely worth the 5 hour drive.

" So you must be the new kid joining us."

I sprung my head up as I saw a brunette with a bright smile and a uniform. 

" Is it that obvious?" I said sarcastically.

" It's not everyday you see someone touch the fountain."

I yanked my hand rapidly out of the water as she laughed whole-heartedly.

" I'm Elyse Huxley." I said, placing my dry hand in front of me.

She shook it kindly as she said,

" Harper Anderson. I suppose I'm your tour guide or whatever you'd like to call it. Joining mid semester must be tough." She stated empathetically.

You have no idea, I wanted to say back. Ever since my mom got back with my billionaire dad, my life has turned upside down. And to top all of it, I'm transferred to a whole new school, whole new life. 

" I could give you a tour like the principal instructed me to, show you the cafeteria and your classes, blah blah blah," she ranted, " Or, I can show you the real way Trinity-K works."

A grin made way to her face as I shrugged. I might as well hear what she has to say.

" This isn't like any other school..." she started to say.

Really? I didn't know that, I imagined every school has a fountain, I thought sarcastically.

" Hear, there are 2 rules you have to follow. Rule number one, remember your rank. This hierarchy works like the pyramid you learned in 8th grade history. Peasants, lords, noblemen and at the top, the kings."

" This school is messed up." I said in belwitherment.

" Yeah, it is. Giving your new," she said, reading my mind. " You are an automatic lord, like me!" She squealed.

" But it won't stay that way. You can either go up, or go down. Every week, they announce your rank in popularity. The king spot is out of reach, of course, but the top ten after them are upped to noblemen, the 50 after them are lords and the rest are pesants."

My mind was starting to hurt with all of this sudden knowledge. This is crazy, bonkers, delusional! Oblivious to my frustration, Harper continued.

" Rule number 2, never speak to a king unless they ask you to. I remember poor Nora, she dared to speak to them..." she said with a sad smile.

" What happened to her?" 

" Let's just say she no longer attends Trinity- Kingsburry."

I stared at her in shock. She was what, kicked out? How is this possible? Or did she quit out of tourment these insane rich kids who call themselves kings.

" Remember these rules," she said dead seriously, " Tatoo them on you if you have to. I heard some freshman did that to her arm."

I burst out laughing. Tattoo them, what the heck? She stared at me as if I was crazy, and after a moment of hesitation, she joined in.

" Ok, that was a little over the top." She said between laughs. 

I continued to giggle as she started the actual guide, and the inside was even better than the outside, if it's even possible. It was just incredible, way better than Jackson-High, my old school. Harper kept on giving me sceptical glances when I gushed, every time we entered a new room. I still can't get over the fact that our desks are not normal plastic ones but rich, ebony wood. I guess Harper and all the other kids got used to it.

" And now," she said eagerly. " Your dorm!"

I was nearly hysterical at this point. I tried to picture it the whole car ride, anticipating it excitedly.

" Drumroll please!" I shrilled, Harper looked at me confused.

Right, I guess that sort of thing never happened in this rich place. Suddenly I felt a pang of absence in my chest. God, I missed my friends. They would've hit their laps enthusiastically if they were here.

I pushed the door open as my mouth dropped. What. The. Heck? I would've screamed in delight if it weren't for Harper. It was absolutely gorgeous. A vast, pastel blue room with gold ornaments on the wall and a big king bed. This was bigger than my old room, plus the kitchen and dining room! 

" It's ok, you can scream." Said Harper with a knowing glance.

That was it. I gave an ear shattering squeal as Harper shook her head, fighting a smile.

" Welcome to Trinity-K."

.........................................

Hi there! 

Hope you enjoyed the first part of Dethroned please comment.

Question one : How do you like the length of this chapter? I really want to make it pleasant for you as well. ツ

Question two: How would you react if you were Elyse?

See you in the next chapter!

.........................................