Chapter 34: Center City

ANDY

Amber had to help me up off the floor after the train slammed on brakes. I already feel like I'm holding us back and we haven't even started.

"Where is everyone?"

"Why is it so empty?'

"Where are we?"

The platform is a frenzy of whispered questions and concerns. No one knows exactly what to make of the situation.

"Would everyone hush!"

The group falls silent at Kye's strangely commandeering tone.

"I still assume we're being watched," Kye continues, looking around. "Be careful what you say. We have to keep moving. Be quick and don't draw attention to yourself."

We scurry down the steps of the platform and stop to gaze up at the tall, oddly-shaped skyscrapers that guard the outskirts of Valstad. Kye leads us around the corner of one building, running along the sidewalk of a long street. The town appears to be deserted; that is, until we turn another corner.

Around the bend is a long street bustling with citizens and bordered by tall glass structures that reach to the sky. Everyone is dressed in bright, new clothing, and all appear to be hurrying along to work or enjoying the plethora of shops and centers. Various food stands are scattered around, and performers litter the streets. One man balances himself on the tip of a sword. No one seems to notice us.

A large tent to our left has a sign that reads, "The Korst and their horrors! Museum inside." Amber links her arm in mine as we start passing through; she should be careful not to let too many people see her eyes. Paxton presses his gun close to him.

"Whatever you do, just keep moving and don't talk to anyone," Kye orders. "If we get split up, just make your way toward the center of the city."

Amber and I move forward into the mass of people.

"Ah, sir! Let me fix you up. Take a look at these fine garments!"

A vendor has noticed Paxton. His dark, rather tattered clothing makes him stand out more than the others. Paxton brandishes his gun and the man jumps back.

I roll my eyes.

"We're supposed to be keeping a low profile," I whisper to Amber.

"Paxton has a hard time keeping his head down. It's so big it would scrape the ground if he lowered it."

I can't help but laugh as we continue pushing through.

Amber and I stop to watch a man paint a picture, surrounded by viewers.

"Such beauty," the man says, noticing Amber. "Your eyes.... Might I paint you next, ma'am?"

"Me?" she says, taken aback. "Well...I mean..."

"No!" Cat says, popping up out of nowhere to herd us along. "Uh...I mean, no, thank you."

"He was just being sweet," Amber pouts.

"We don't know anything about anyone here," Cat scolds her. She walks faster than we do and is soon lost in the crowd.

Someone grabs my free hand and pulls me to the side of the street. "Try our line of hand soaps! They're free of Opil milk!"

"Thanks," I say, pulling my hand free from the woman's, "but I'm not a good test subject for your product."

I can't help but sigh as Amber and I keep walking.

"What's wrong?" Amber asks.

"I couldn't even feel her hand touching mine. It's like she wasn't there."