Part 5:

The group stood there in silence for a moment, trying to make sense of what had happened.

Isen interrupted the silence. "Guys. Where are we? Where's the mall?"

Frustrated, Blyke wringed his hands. "How are we supposed to know?"

Arlo checked his phone. "There's no signal here." He looked up. "We are quite literally in the middle of nowhere," he remarked coolly.

Well, now look at what you've done, John. Now I'm never going to finish my very important business... Arlo thought to himself in despair. His heart sank as he looked at his phone again. What am I going to do now?? D:

The group walked around aimlessly through the fields. As they ambled along, Sera glanced at John. He had been acting unusual ever since the attack. Jogging to catch up with John, Sera frowned and bit her lip. Was he avoiding her on purpose?

His glowing eyes kept on appearing in her head. His malicious intent to kill was as clear as day. Moreover, that mysterious, passionate expression on his face unsettled her. She took a deep breath and approached John. He glanced backward as Sera approached, and he sped up as soon as he noticed her coming.

"Hey," Sera said, grabbing John by the wrist.

"Oh, h-hey..." John said, avoiding her eyes.

"Why are you avoiding me?"

"What do you mean?"

Sera sighed. "You know what I mean. You've been acting weird ever since the attack. Also, you have a lot of explaining to do."

He gulped and broke out into a cold sweat. John had seen this coming, but it still was a tough situation. Beads of sweat rolled down his neck as he squashed the nervous butterflies in his stomach.

"Well, as you can see, I'm... I'm not a c-cripple," John said uneasily. "I wish I could have told you sooner..."

"Told me sooner? Told me sooner?! You lied to me! What the hell! I can't believe you don't trust me! Friends don't lie to each other!"

John flinched and clenched his fist. "I'm... I'm sorry... for not telling you sooner..." He carried on, trying to block out his past. "I just didn't want a repeat of what happened at my old school," he whispered softly."

He suddenly turned to face Sera. "Am I a monster to you?" He asked, grabbing Sera's hands and gazing into her eyes.

Sera, taken aback by the question, was lost for words. His words flashed through her mind.

"I just didn't want a repeat of what happened at my old school"

"Am I a monster to you?"

As she realized that John had kept his ability a secret because of something holding him back, Sera's eyes softened.

"I-- Of course you're not a monster. You're not a bad guy, right?"

She let out a nervous chuckle. Right...?

Seeing that nervous look on her face, John's heart broke and a cascade of memories washed over him. Claire's pleading, helpless face appeared in his mind, haunting him.

"You won't leave me, right?" He whispered, suddenly afraid.

"What? Of course not. Why would I leave someone for such a stupid reason?" Sera studied his face carefully. I've never seen John like this... What happened?

John let out a breath of relief and pulled Sera in, hugging her. "Thank god... I thought you were going to run away from me if you ever found out..." He took in a shakey breath and continued, "You're the only friend I have." A single tear rolled down his cheek and fell towards the ground and he tightened his grip around Sera.

Sera patted John on the back in a soothing rhythm and soon John's breathing evened out. Pulling out of the embrace, Sera mustered up a smile. "It's okay if you don't want to tell me what's wrong. But I'll always be ready to listen if you decide to tell me. After all, we're friends, right?"

He nodded. "Right."

A/N: Totally not a cliche anime argument right guys? Right?? :'D