Episode 51

Maggie put her hands on her hips. "What are you going on about?"

Collin grinned. "Weird kid gave me some tips for my mission!"

Sweat beaded Ame's brow. "Uh, you do realize that 'weird kid' was Castin, right?"

The redhead shrugged. "He was still weird."

Maggie's eye twitched. "Funny hearing you say that, runt!"

Mrs. Sinclair gasped. "Did you really talk to the Breadbasket of Life?"

"He's a living basket made out of bread?" Alastair shouted.

Cole face palmed. "The kid really was dropped on his head as a child, wasn't he?"

Maggie nodded.

Berry folded her arms. "It is a weird title."

Cyan whispered. "Cole, be nice. You too, Maggie!"

"What?" Maggie shouted. "I didn't say a thing!"

"I saw you nodding..."

Ame sighed. "His condition makes him struggle with expressions. He thinks 'green eyed monster' is a literal monster with green eyes."

Ev scoffed.

Collin grumbled, "Attychu," cheeks sparking.

Ev stepped back. "Ah! I'm sorry!"

Mrs. Sinclair gasped. "Did his cheeks just spark?"

Ame moved closer to Collin before putting a purple barrier between them and everyone else. "We'll meet you at the bus."

"Hey!" Collin said before they were teleported away.

Mrs. Sinclair turned to look at her oldest daughter. "Care to explain who those people you've been staying with are?"

Cyan sighed. "Way to go, Cole, Ev..."

"I can do it, if you don't want to," Maggie said. "The boy is a Key Keeper."

Mr. Sinclair gasped. "А Key Keeper? You knew this, Cyan? Why would you stay with someone like that? Don't you know it's dangerous? Or... could it be that you've decided to turn against the Kesslers like our ancestor did?"

Ancestor?" Maggie asked.

Mr. Sinclair looked at the stone floor. "Marcus. The first Key Keeper."

Cyan's cheeks reddened. "l didn't know at first. If I had, I probably wouldn't have accepted. But since I didn't, I got to grow closer to him. Even his caretaker, Amethyst. While odd, they don't strike me as bad people.

Ev said, "I don't know them well, but I have to agree. Plus, Castin talked to him, right?" He glanced at Berry. "What do you think, Bear? You heard their conversation."

Berry's eyes drifted skyward. "I don't think he's a bad guy, either. Castin seemed to be encouraging him. He also said something about the government keeping people ignorant."

Mr. Sinclair just stared.

Ev's eyes widened. "Eh? Castin wants to overthrow the Kesslers too?" he shouted.

Maggie put her finger over her lips. "Sh! lf they hear us, we're going to be put in jail!" She glanced at the sky, looking for drones.

"Неу," Cole said, "I think we should probably get going. What if those three decide to abandon us?"

Cyan sighed. "Seems you still distrust them."

"I mean, his caretaker seemed scared. They could leave if they think it's for the kid's own good."