CHAPTER 9

The coolness of night came into the window with a light breeze as the white curtain of Melissa's bedroom window blew softly in the breeze

The coolness of night came into the window with a light breeze as the white curtain of Melissa's bedroom window blew softly in the breeze. Melissa lay tossing and turning in her bed for hours as the yells of her father, her sister Michelle and a man had filled their home.

It had ended with the smashing of glass and the slamming of the door. She heard her father storming around outside of her bedchamber door and then through the kitchen before she heard the door slam shut and the house grew silent.

She fell asleep in the coolness of the Spanish night. The only thing to be heard outside were the trees blowing in the breeze. Melissa curled in a ball and slept in a deep sleep forgetting the world around her.

Her father and Michelle had been fighting so much recently but it was much better than hearing the late night cries of Michelle in her bedroom after their father had checked on her in the middle of the night.

Something felt different this time about Michelle and her father fighting. There was someone else involved.

Melissa couldn't make out the words that were yelled between the man and her father or from the cries in Michelle's voice. The only thing Melissa made out was the glass breaking and the door slamming shut before it ended.

Melissa's deep sleep ended hours later as the moon finally took its place in the night time sky and the breeze had settled in the cool night as Bohemas, Melissa's father stumbled into her bedchamber bumping into the dresser and the bottles of perfume crashing down onto the dresser.

"Papa?" Melissa questioned, her eyes blurred from sleep and her voice filled with sleep.

She was disoriented as she watched her father stumble across the room and curse from bumping into the wooden dresser.

"Papa?"

"Melissa," he said as the fresh smell of rum and bourbon hit her. He had gone out drinking..again.

Drinking wasn't something he handled well it made him angry, it made him boisterous. She would be on the receiving end of his anger, she always had been.

She never did anything that pleased him, nothing made him happy. She was the mistake in his life that he wished to be rid of. Nights of him drinking led to nights of her taking a belt to her back, a switch or whatever he could find.

Nights of him drinking led to the destruction of happiness and days of bruises that covered her back, legs and face.

She braced herself for another night of painful punishment for something she did wrong or because he was upset with her sister for whatever she had done.

Her papa took a seat on the edge of her bed, looking at her with what she thought were red eyes, his eyes met her blue innocent eyes.

"Your no good sister left us tonight for that no good gypsy pirate man she has been sneaking out to see. Did you know anything of this man?" he asked angrily as he messed with the shirt he was wearing.