CHAPTER 7

The ship rocked in the rough waters affected by the storm, the yells of men on the deck to help get control of the ship sounded out. Nothing but darkness filled the sky as a little boy with big dark brown eyes, dirty dark hair wearing a pair of tan breeches that were almost black due to the grime of the ship. His chest bare and covered in the dirt from lack of baths as well as little scabs from the cigars and cigarettes put out on his small chest and his feet almost black at the bottom and his fingernails surrounded by black grime, dirt covering his face and his hands. He crawled under the bed of his cabin desperately trying to eat the piece of moldy bread he had stolen from the kitchen. The ship smelled of mildew and mold, the little dingy boy took a bite of the moldy bread and savored in the taste before swallowing as a little squeaking appeared beside him. He looked over to see two small mice next to him waiting for some food. He let out a sigh and broke off two small pieces of the bread and handed them to the mice. "Here you go, Guys, eat up," he said with a soft smile as the two mice delighted in their portions of food. He took another bite of his bread before sharing more with the two mice beside him. "It's good isn't it?" he asked them brushing a piece of his dark hair out of his face as they squeaked and ate with their tiny paws.

Loud footsteps appeared outside of his cabin. They were thunderous, filled with anger, filled with hate. He closed his eyes as a shiver moved through him as the door to his cabin flew open, crashing into the wall. The mice scurried at the thud leaving him alone, always alone. "WHERE ARE YA, YA LITTLE BASTARD!" The male voice rang out in anger and disdain. Little Roman closed his dark eyes and begged to be saved from his father's wrath. "YOU THINK YOU CAN STEAL FROM ME?" he called out as Roman swallowed hard as he heard tiny footsteps enter into the bedroom.

"Papa," said his brother Seth, "Did you find Roman yet?"

"No I can't find that little bastard anywhere," anger in his voice as he started tearing through the room looking for the small boy that was no older than 7.