Prince Lar Gand

November 27th 2017

Things were different.

Not in an overwhelmingly obvious way, but things were slightly different. Lena still spent her days at CatCo, she still spent most evenings in her lab trying to get into that stupid Daxam Drive and either Kara, Jess, or a combined attack by both of them was usually still necessary to get her out of there. Some details were different, though. Like Kara holding her hand at every opportunity. And not just when they were within the safe confines of Kara's apartment either. 

She'd seen fit to drag her to the lake during last week's lunch (she was pretty sure there were ducks involved in her argument) but all Lena really remembered was the fact that Kara hadn't let go of her hand until they'd gotten back to L-Corp. She even had to aggressively shake her head at Jess when they'd walked out the elevator, because the woman had looked like she was about to joyfully exclaim something really stupid at the sight of their joined hands.

In some of her more cynical moods, Lena thought that it was probably Kara being overbearing. That the woman was afraid to leave her alone after finding out what had really happened at the DEO following Lillian's attack. But to be honest, it was hard to keep up that sort of pessimism when Kara seemed to find ways to spend any second of either of their spare time together. And being around Kara was obviously never a bad thing.

The other main thing that was different were the frequent visits to the DEO, made possible thanks to the fact that Alex didn't give her the evil eye anymore. Not that she was there to socialize with her (she highly doubted they'd ever be close friends) but more so because of some interesting technology they had over there. Some technology that made her own attempts at recreating otherworldly portals completely superfluous, and whose existence a certain idiot had completely failed to mention to her.

("Why didn't you tell me you had a fully functional transmatter portal at the DEO?!!")

("You never asked!!")

So that's how Lena and her trusted sidekick ended up in front of said transmatter portal, readjusting the transmitter beam to be accompanied by a reciprocal tracking signal.

"All right," Winn huffed, putting the cover back in place over the exposed wires of the control panel, "so you think this should be able to connect us with Maaldoria?"

Lena sighed, adjusting the parameters on her tablet and triple checking all of it. "Assuming your coordinates are correct, yes."

"Well, they should be correct," Winn mumbled, still screwing the back of the control panel back together. "We know where Maaldoria is, obviously, but the exact location of the portal is more of an educated guess."

"It's fine," Lena absentmindedly waved her hand as she refocused on her tablet, "even if we can't make contact at the first try, it's just a loose signal. No harm done."

"Well, yeah," Winn drawled, "but if you overcharge the tracking signal you might overheat-"

"I know what I'm doing!" Lena interrupted, pausing her movements to give the man a warning look. Winn raised his hands defensively.

"All right, all right, it's cool. No need to take out your deep internal struggle on me..."

Lena stopped her movements again, her stare turning annoyed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, well you know... this whole thing about getting Kara to see her ex again... while you'd probably much rather keep them as far away as possible..." Winn summed up, his tone light, but his eyes searching Lena's expression.