45: The Second Trial (Part Four)

Start from the beginning

"Can you bring back the dead?" That was the only way to fix this. The only way this situation could be just but that wasn't the world we lived in.

Sif didn't answer that but grabbed my hand. "You did the honorable thing."

"Then why do I feel so terrible?"

"If being honorable was easy, everyone would do it."

I wasn't in the mood for a pep talk or Sif building up my virtues. Right now, I just felt desolate.My world shimmered as magic bent time and space to bring us to our destination. My feet touched down on a soft green rug that wasn't mine. Frowning, I looked around and saw I was standing in an unfamiliar living room.  The dying embers of a fire were glowing in a red-bricked hearth and a wooden coffee table with black metal legs sprawled out across a rug that looked like an animal pelt.

"Where are we?" I asked, frowning at my unfamiliar surroundings. The lack of white everywhere told me it wasn't royal; Freya would've never decorated like this.

"My house," Sif replied as she let go of my hand. "Take a seat, I'll get the beer. You want anything to eat?"

I sunk into the nearby couch. "I'm not hungry."

"Let me rephrase that," Sif's voice was farther away now. I heard the clink of glass bottles from what I assumed was the kitchen, but I didn't bother to turn my head and look. "You need to eat." 

Sif came into my line of sight again, a six pack of amber bottles in one hand and a bowl of what looked like chicken wings in the other.

"I'm not hungry." I said again as I reached out and took the beer she offered me.

"You can't show up to the trial drunk."

"I'm not going," I replied, taking a swig of my beer. It was cold and bitter but left a trail of warmth trickling down my throat and settling in my empty stomach. "I'm sending my verdict with you."

"You have to attend the trial in person or you fail."

"That's bullshit."

Sif flashed me a bitter smile. "So are many of the duties that come with being queen. See why I left it yet?"

"I'm starting to." I slammed half my beer and coughed, a bit of foam dribbling down the corner of my mouth. I wiped it off on my hand and reached for another beer, but Sif beat me to it and twisted off the cap.

"I didn't know you could drink like that."

"Haven't done it since high school graduation." I replied, taking the drink and grabbing a wing. It was lukewarm like it had been stuck in a take out box. I nibbled on it without tasting it. While I wasn't hungry, I had a feeling showing up to sentence Ragnar wasted would be grounds for my elimination from the trials.

"What was that like?"

I washed down a bite of chicken with some more beer. "Some things are better left unspoken."

"I understand that," Sif toasted me with her own drink, which was nearly full. "Can we both agree not to repeat that performance tonight?"I tore off another bite of chicken and stared blankly at the table. "Suzume?"

"I won't get drunk." I promised as I took a measured gulp of my drink. "However bad I feel now will be worse if I flunk the next trial."

"Because you won't get justice for Yuki?" Sif said. If memory served, she'd never said her name aloud before and that was enough for me to look up at her.

"There will never be justice for  Yuki or for Talia." I answered, a lump rising fast in my throat. "The only 'just outcome would be if they could come back to us."

Sif toasted me with her amber bottle. "Now that I can drink to."

I raised my own drink as well. "To the ones who should be here."

My friend echoed the toast and we both threw back our drinks in the hopes we'd wash down the grief too. "You lost a lot of your Valkiyre's in the latest Jotun attack." I said after a moment's pause and Sif looked away from me and began staring blankly at the table, just like I had been moments before.

"We've lost more than I  could count to those creatures." Sif's voice was graver than I'd ever heard it.

"It's not your fault."

"I know that." Sif's hand tightened on her beer. "If you become queen, you need to do something about the Jotun. What we've been doing now...It's not working." She bowed her head and I saw a tear carve a path down her cheek.

My throat was tight as I threw back the last of my drink. "We will."

***************************

New chapter! Sorry for the delay, life has a way of interfering with writing. :( But I promise, slowly but surely, this draft will be finished and posted for your reading pleasure! Author's honor!

Write on! :)

P.S.

And to those like me who are returning to school, good luck with the new semester!