39: After Party

Thankfully, the after party was a much more low key affair, kind of at least. The massive crowd was gone and all that remained now from what Sif was telling me as we grabbed drinks was that other important figures and celebrities were in attendance. Against the dark title floor as well as white streamers hangings along the lights, the fine clothing was even more vibrant.

"That's Brunhild," Sif said, indicating with her martini glass. I too, had recognized the petite warrior who'd helped me during my combat trial. I had not known however, that she was a noteworthy person.

"She was with me during my trial."

"She was with everyone during their trial," Sif informed me as I took a sip of my margarita. "She's a living legend."

"What'd she do?" I asked curiously as I studied the woman who was chatting with Freya.

"She killed a Jotun in single combat. She's one of three people to have ever done it and the only living one currently."

My jaw dropped. "That tiny thing killed a frost giant by herself?"

"Size is not always indicative of power," Sif reminded me. "You and I were smaller than almost all the men on the police force and we still played with the best of them."

"Matthew kicked my ass in training every week."

"Only if he could catch you first."

"Where you stalking me then too?" I asked, smirking  and Sif's face flushed red.

"It was not stalking!" she sputtered and I shook my head, still wearing my smug grin as I took another sip of my drink.

"So then what would you call following someone without their knowledge for weeks, documenting their moves and even joining their place of work so you can get a closer look?"

"Research so I could determine whether or not you were a decent candidate for one of the most important jobs my home has to offer." Sif said this all rather quickly, a faint blush still on her face.

"Fair point, though I am glad I passed inspection."

"So am I." Sif smiled back at me and rolled the stem of her drink between her fingers. "Recognize anyone else in the room?"

"Foreseti," I remarked, he was easy to stop thanks to his stature and brilliant red hair and matching beard. "Who's he with though?" A tall, willowy woman with bleach blond hair was on his arm and as she laughed, I saw her hair fly back, revealing pointed ears. She was an elf.

"Alva, she's  a diplomat from Álfheimr; they've been dating for about two years now."

I hadn't known Foreseti had a girlfriend. I recalled how harshly I'd judged him when we first met and felt shame creep through my veins. Looking for something to distract me, I scanned the crowd again, searching for a face that I knew. My eyes landed on Thor, looking very handsome in a sleek black suit.

"Thor's here," I remarked, trying to sound offhand as I noticed he was talking to Elise and smiling widely at her. "Looks like he's having a good time."

Sif gave me a knowing smile. "He's always been a good host."

"A good skill for a prince to have," I commented as I felt my stomach twist when Elise slid her arm through Thor's.  "Is that Fulla with them?"

"Yes, sweet girl! I've always liked her."

"Birds of a feather flock together," I remarked as I saw Elise laugh.

"She's a servant right? Fulla I mean."

"Yep. Not a great fighter, but she's the bravest person I know."