33: Third Dates (Part Three)

Jormundandr wound leisurely back towards the shore after several more dives. I would have loved to explore the glowing coral reefs, but my body had other ideas when my stomach started to growl.

"Thanks buddy," I cooed as I slid off the sea serpents back once we were in shallow enough water. "Who's a good boy?" I scratched along his jaw and Jormundandr purred with pleasure and wagged his tail which sent small waves lapping at my calves.

"Good boy," Thor echoed as he patted the creature's snout. "You go home now."

Jormundandr whined and I didn't need to speak sea monster to know he wasn't happy. "Go home," Thor said again, more firmly as he pushed him away. "Jormundandr, go home."

The creature whined again, but swam away and I felt my heart get heavy as he vanished under the black water. "Poor baby," I sighed as I held my hand over my heart. "He's all alone."

"I know but it's what's best, there's not enough food here for him."

"How often does he come back?"

"Every evening, but how long he stays depends on whether or not anyone's here to play with him."

"Poor baby!" I shook my head as I looked back out over the water. I couldn't even tell where he was now. "I'll have to come here more often." I looked back at Thor. "That's allowed right? Even if it is royal lands?"

"Consider yourself holding an extended invitation." Thor said with a slight bow and I laughed.

"This must be what it feels like to be a VIP." My stomach gurgled and I smiled hopefully at Thor. "Does the VIP treatment include food?"

"Yes, just give me a second and I'll be right back." His form blurred like a heat mirage and I stared at the space he had occupied.

"Second," I muttered under my breath as I trekked up the beach, the sand sticking to the soles of my feet while I shrugged on my dry clothes over my suit. I felt pretty stupid for failing to bring a towel, but there wasn't much I could do about that now. I shivered slightly as goosebumps rose over my bare arms and hoped that the walk up the hill would generate some kind of warmth.

I turned, ready to make the trip and screamed as I saw Thor materialize before me. "You're late," I teased, inhaling the rich scent of tomatoes and garlic that emanated from the brown paper bag in his hand.

"Sorry to keep you waiting ma'am," Thor said, his low voice changing to a twangy Southern accent.

"Since when do you talk like your from Texas?"

"Since Sif got me into Clint Eastwood movies. So did you want to walk up again or-?"

"Let's teleport," I interrupted as my stomach growled again. "I don't want to risk climbing with food."

Thor nodded and took my hand. A heart beat later we were back on the hill, the long grasses sticking to my damp legs. "So, what's for dinner?" I eyed the bag as I said that and Thor smiled, reaching inside and pulled out what looked like a pastry wrapped in wax paper.

"Chow down," he invited and I wasted no time sinking my teeth into it. The bread was soft and warm, the tastes of garlic, tomato, hot sausage and gooey cheese mingling on my tongue as I sighed in pleasure.

"This is amazing," I said after a quick swallow. "It tastes just like these calzones I used to get at Davy Joe's!"

"What?" Thor asked as I plopped down onto the grass and started attacking my dinner.

I took the time to chew my food before answering. I didn't think choking was very attractive. "It's my favorite bar in Boston. They served these mini-calzones and I'd always order them every time I was there. They go great with beer."