VI

Katrine heard loud crashing from outside her window. She ran over to her window and opened it up. She saw Klaus rifling through the garbage. Five was walking off with a duffel bag. Katrine decided to ignore it because she knew he was just doing what he thought was best.

She walked out onto the fire escape to see Klaus holding a half-eaten bagel. "Don't eat that."

He looked up to see her. "Oh! Kat! Hi! I already did. It doesn't taste very good. I spit it out."

"Let me guess. You're looking for that ornate box Pogo was talking about. No shit. It was in the garbage rotting. You're unbelievable, Klaus."

"Yeah. I can't find it. Shut up."

"Maybe it was taken out with the trash. Or maybe someone found it."

"I agree. I think someone found it."

Katrine frowned at the voice. "Who is that?"

He looked at the empty space next to him and said, "You really want to know?"

She nodded. Klaus let out a small sigh. "It's Ben."

"Ben's here?"

"Yeah. He's kind of my voice of reason."

"Well, good. Lord knows you need a voice of reason to set you straight."

A knock on Katrine's door caught her attention. She turned to see Diego. "Allison found something and she wants us all to see for ourselves."

She followed Diego to the living room, in front of a TV, and frowned. "Okay, I knew Dad watched us, but this is disturbing."

Diego sighed. "Luther thinks Mom killed Dad."

Katrine glared at Luther. "That's ludicrous."

Luther shot her a look and played the clip for them. Katrine watched the screen as Grace stood over their father's bed as he died.

Vanya said from the back, "Do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?"

Luther immediately answered her. "You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore."

Katrine frowned. "Luther, we've all been gone awhile. We grew up. But don't shoot Vanya down for a simple question."

Vanya smiled at Katrine and she smiled back.

Diego frowned, glancing at Katrine. "If he was poisoned, it would have shown on the coroner's report."

"Well, I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes." Luther said sarcastically.

Diego smirked. "Maybe all that low gravity in space messed with your vision." He moved closer to the screen and pointed. "Look closer. Dad has his monocle. Mom stands up. Monocle's gone."

"Oh, yeah!" Klaus laughed as he ate some chips.

Diego continued. "She wasn't poisoning him. She was taking it. To clean it."

Katrine frowned. "While I doubt Mom would poison Dad, her taking the monocle to clean it doesn't seem likely. Wait a minute. Diego!"

Luther frowned, looking confused and said, "Then where is it? I've searched the house, including her things. She doesn't have it."

Diego avoided Katrine's eyes as he admitted, "That's because I took it from her. After the funeral."

Katrine sighed as Allison frowned at him. "You've had the monocle this whole time? What the hell, Diego?"

"Give it to me." Luther demanded.

"I threw it away." Diego replied.

"You what?"