PROLOGUE

lowercase intended

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

( "used to say that people who are very different

from each other are often attracted to each other." )

MAISIE KANE ...

everybody on the ark knew that name. maisie kane, the daughter of rose and marcus kane, the councilman. she wasn't like her father, maisie was all her mother. a girl who had so much to offer to the world but just like her mother, she was taken away too soon.

when she was seven, they floated her mother for stealing extra food for people who weren't as fortunate as the kane family. she was soon arrested and sentenced to death. her own husband had watched the love of his life drift into the nothingness of space. even though he loved his wife so much, they wouldn't be able to afford to have exceptions, not on the ark.

ten years later, maisie faced the same fate as well. she was sent to the skybox for trying to help her best friend clarke tell the truth about the ark's life support failure.

a year later, just two months away from her birthday, the day that she would be sent to space to suffocate, she found herself getting dragged out of her cell thinking that she was going to die, in some way she was,
because they were sending 100 kids to the ground.

and maisie was one of the 100 with the biggest secret ever. the blood that flowed through her veins wasn't red, it was black.