Chapter Sixty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Not yet," I said, stroking his cheeks with my thumbs. He nodded again. "Think about it more, okay? Besides, we need to make sure its something we want and we're ready for before we do something like that."

"I just wanted to tell you, it wasn't a 'move in with me today or I'll hate you' sort of thing," he joked with a small shrug. 

I grinned up at him, a grin which only widened at his answering smile. "It's nearly the holidays soon, and then we can spend as much time together as we want, if I haven't flunked by then."

"You won't, silly," he assured, smiling down at me. 

"My grades aren't great at the moment. There was some hot stripper taking up all of my time."

He laughed, grinning widely. "Was he worth it?"

"Definitely," I breathed, looking at him. 

He blushed slightly, biting his lip, before he lay down beside me, resting his head on my chest and putting his arms around my waist. 

"Good," he murmured, snuggling closer. 

"Speaking of said hot stripper, how's work been?" I asked, trailing my fingers through his hair, over his arm, anywhere I could reach. 

"I've not been doing much this week. Mina tried to talk to me the other day, said you'd been avoiding her," he said, looking at me. 

"I was scared she'd ask about you and then I'd have to remember everything..." I admitted quietly.

He nodded understandingly and rested his head back on me. "I have a show tomorrow if you want to join me. Nick got some really good feedback about us and he's been nagging me. I kind of punched him..."

"Of course you did." I rolled my eyes. 

"Hey, it's not my fault he doesn't know when to shut up. I, uh... I heard from Corey this week."

"Corey?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"My dick friend who kept insulting you until you basically told him to leave."

"Oh. Him."

"Yeah, him... He's trying to blackmail me," he admitted quietly. 

I sat up quickly, ignoring the slight gasp Jay gave when he fell off me. "He what, sorry?"

"He wants money, or he'll start an appeal to free my dad."

"That... That wouldn't work, would it? I mean, don't they have proof and shit?"

"Kaidan, they found his come all up inside me, they have a testimony from my mother and physical evidence of abuse from my doctor and teachers. They know he did it."

"Then what's the point? They won't release him, so what's Corey even trying to do?"

He sighed, sitting up and crossing his legs. "He's a lawyer, he'll find a way. I think there was also some threat about framing me for prostitution. I just wish I'd listened to Finn earlier. Hearing Finn say 'I told you so' is actually painful because he's not even smug about it."

"What are you going to do?" I asked quietly, trying not to panic. 

"I don't know," he admitted. "I have an appointment with my psych tomorrow, hopefully she's got some decent advice..."

"Can't you tell someone? Blackmail is a serious thing."

"I don't even have any proof and besides, who's word are they going to believe? I'm a lowly stripper and ex-porn star, but he's got a degree in law and all that shit. I didn't even finish school, Kaidan. They won't believe me."