Chapter Nineteen

I watched him chuckle quietly as I found a table by the window in the sun. I closed my eyes, letting the sun warm me. A few minutes later, Jay was sitting down, placing a tray on the table between us. I grinned and took my meal. 

"So how did the shoot go this morning?" I asked. 

He shrugged and stole one of my fries, despite having a large portion of his own. 

"Same old, I guess. One of the editors was weird though..." he trailed off, thinking. 

"So what did they have you doing?" I had to admit, I was curious...

He just shrugged again. "Posing, changing costumes, much like any other photo shoot for a magazine. Just more sexy and with less clothes."

I rolled my eyes slightly and dipped a chicken nugget in the pot of ketchup he'd brought over. 

"You know, they're looking for partner shoots, if you're interested," he said, glancing up at me before picking up his burger. 

"Partner shoots...? Like two people together shoots...?" I asked hesitantly. 

He grinned and nodded, his mouth full. He swallowed and licked a bit of ketchup off his lip.

"It's something I've never done before actually," he said, surprising me.

I gasped dramatically. "Something you haven't done?" I teased. 

He laughed and rolled his eyes. "It would get you more comfortable in front of a camera, and they're just stills. It pays well for practically minimum effort. You don't even have to act horny like in film."

I blushed and muttered to myself, "I wouldn't have to act with you..."

He looked at me curiously, thinking. He shook his head slightly and started eating again. "We're going to have so much fun, Kaidan," was all he said.

We both kept quiet while we ate. I looked out the window, seeing the happy couples walking around, heading for the town centre and just spending the day together. I wanted that... 

"What are you thinking?" Jay asked, looking at me with his chin resting on his fist, his elbow on the table. 

"Nothing," I murmured, focusing on finishing the last of my fries. 

He kept looking at me, waiting for a real answer. I sighed and gave in. 

"I was just thinking about all the couples that get to spend every day together, happy. Without worrying about being judged..." 

He smiled slightly. "Being gay is a lot more acceptable now that it was even twenty years ago. People who judge like that should be shot," he muttered.

"History?" I asked, looking up at him. 

"My elder brother killed himself because everyone thought he was gay." He said it so simply, so matter-of-factly, like it didn't matter. 

I couldn't help myself as I took hold of his hand on the table.

"Oh Jay..."

He just shrugged again. "It's in the past. Not like my parents cared anyway."

"Want to talk about it?" I asked quietly, unsure where this courage was coming from all of a sudden. 

"There's nothing to talk about, Kaidan. My mum was a drug-addicted alcoholic and my dad was a-" He stopped. I'd never seen him looking so tense and I wanted my happy Jay back. "Can we not talk this."

It wasn't a question, or a request, it was simply a 'I'm not discussing it', and I couldn't not admit that it made me curious but it wasn't my place to ask and I just wanted to see him smile again. 

"Of course, it doesn't matter. So bowling?" I asked, trying to change the subject. His small smile made me relax. 

"There's a cool place, not too far from here really. And they do little balls for your little girly hands," he teased.

"Hey!" I pulled my hand back from him and crossed my arms, pouting. 

He laughed slightly and picked up his drink, sucking on the straw. 

"You're mean to me," I said, sulking. 

Jay grinned widely. "Oh, Kaidan, you really are adorable sometimes. Come on, let's go," he said, standing. 

I followed suit and trailed behind him like a little puppy back to the car. I got in when he did and smiled slightly when I saw he was more relaxed again. I didn't like seeing him all tense like he had been... 

I changed the radio to one of my favourite stations that only ever really played pop. Jay rolled his eyes but didn't change it as he started driving. In fact, he turned the volume up with a little button by the steering wheel. 

I smiled and looked out the window. Today was going to be fun. 

(A/N Thank you for all the wonderful comments on the previous chapter, they all make me want to write more! But this chapter is dedicated to MinnesotaTidalWave for his beautiful comment that made me laugh and smile happily at the same time ~MacBeka)