Chapter Thirty Seven

We all sat at the food court, I had a coffee while the others had iced beverages. We all talked about exams, prom and our graduation ceremony. Prom was next Saturday and I was super excited, everyone was. Then out of nowhere Robyn asked,

"how's your head?"

Both of her friends looked at me concerned.

"Fine." I sighed.

"You haven't been talking much." She smiled.

"I don't really have anything to say." I shrugged.

"Ok." She sighed.

"What's up with your head, that's not the first time I've heard someone ask about it." Maria shrugged.

"It's really nothing." I sighed shaking my head.

Robyn looked at me with a concerned look on my face.

"Noah." Claire sighed.

"I just- I don't want to talk about it." I shrugged.

"Is it something bad?" Maria asked.

"I said I don't want to talk about it." I sighed as I became teary eyed.

"So, I'm taking that as a yes?" Claire asked.

I shrugged nodding.

"Noah, you can talk to us." Maria smiled.

"We're here for you." Claire sighed.

"Ok, well,"

I told them what happened, all of it. They sat in shock as they looked at me from across the table.

"Noah, that's terrible. So how is your head?" Claire asked.

"It's fine." I shrugged.

"For sure?" Robyn asked.

"Yes, for sure." I smiled.

I lied, I didn't want them to worry, I also didn't want to ruin their afternoon, even though worsening headaches is a symptom I need to watch out for.

We all left the mall and made our way back to school. We pulled up and Maria and Claire skipped into the school which left Robyn and I standing in the courtyard. It was lunch so there were people walking around, doing their own thing. She began to walk to the door but I stopped her by placing my hand on her shoulder.

"Robyn, I'm scared." I sighed.

She turned around and looked at me slightly confused. Tears fell from my eyes.

"I'm so scared." I sighed again now crying.

She quickly hugged me and I hugged back.

"Noah, you don't need to be afraid, because no matter what happens we will always love you." She smiled.

"The symptoms." I sighed.

"What?" She asked letting go and looking at me.

"The worsening headaches, my head hurts so bad." I cried.

"How long has it been hurting?" She asked.

"Since the whole goddamn thing happened." I sighed.

"Noah! Why didn't you tell me?" She asked.

"I didn't want you to worry." I shrugged.

"Well, I'm more worried now then I would've been if you told me then!" She exclaimed.

I could tell she was trying to stay calm so I wouldn't freak out but it wasn't working very well, I was totally freaking out.

"Are they worsening?" She asked.

"I don't think, but I can sense that something bad is going to happen to me." I sighed.

"Like what?" She asked.

"I don't know, like, forgetting you." I cried.

She hugged me again.

"Noah, it doesn't matter if you forget me, but while you know who I am know that I love you and care about you." She smiled.

"Thanks Robyn." I sighed.

That didn't help much, but I'm glad she's trying to make me feel better. I wiped the tears from my eyes and Robyn just stood there smiling at me. I sighed and smiled back. The bell rang and it slightly startled the both of us.

"Are you ready to go?" She asked.

I nodded.

She gripped my hand and looked into my eyes.

"It's ok." She sighed.

"I know." I nodded.

We walked into the school and made our way to class, which was math. Today we were doing a revision for our exams which I so needed. I had missed so many math classes because of everything that has been going on lately, my headaches and Reilly's death mostly, well that's really it. I sat down next to Alex.

"How is your head?" He asked.

"What about me!? Why is everything always about my head?" I asked angrily.

"Dude, calm down. I'm sorry, I'm just checking in." He shrugged.

I just looked at him angrily. I then faced away from him with my arms crossed, slouching into my chair. Was this a change in behavior, probably not. I'm sure if and when it happens it will be the kind of thing where I won't be able to tell, although I hope not.