Chapter Thirteen

Hours had passed and I sat at home alone as my mom was out picking up my sister from school. I enjoyed being home by myself, especially now that the silence felt so loud. Any movement I made or word that came out of my mouth made my head hurt so much. I sat there with my eyes closed feeling more relaxed than ever before.

I had almost fallen asleep but was startled when the door opened. My sister stormed into the house, up the stairs and slammed her door. I watched and then looked back at my mom who stood in the doorway. She placed her purse on the table and sat down next to me.

"What's up with her?" I asked.

"I don't know, she wouldn't talk to me." She shrugged.

"She wasn't talking to me this morning either." I sighed.

I was afraid that something bad was happening, and it was most likely something that had to do with that douche bag Jayden. I walked upstairs and knocked on the door. There was no answer so I knocked again.

"Reilly please open the door." I begged.

Still no response.

I decided to open the door just enough to peek through. I saw her lying on her bed and I decided to open the door all the way. I walked in and sat next to her as she sobbed into her pillow.

"What's wrong?" I asked rubbing her back.

"I can't say." She sobbed violently.

"Why not?" I asked.

She didn't answer.

"Reilly, what's going on?" I asked.

"I told you, I'm not allowed to say." She exclaimed angrily.

"Reilly, I fear that whatever this is is affecting your health; emotional and physical. I just want to help, and I can't if you don't tell me what's going on." I explained.

"Ok, but if you tell anyone then the consequences will be diar." She stated.

"I promise I won't tell anyone." I nodded.

"Ok, well, Jayden said that if I don't go over to his house tonight then he'll kill me." She sighed.

"What?" I asked blankly.

"Noah, I'm scared and I don't know what to do." She cried.

"Stay here!" I exclaimed.

"But then he'll kill me!" She stated.

"He's probably just saying that to scare you." I sighed.

"But what if he's not, what if he really kills me?" She asked.

"Reilly, listen to me, you're going to be fine, ok? Do you trust me when I say I won't let anything bad happen to you?" I asked.

She shrugged as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

My heart broke in half. She didn't trust me to keep her safe? She looked at me sadly and I could see the pain in her eyes. I understood that she didn't want to put all of her trust into me and then have me not be there when she needs me, but she's told me she trusted me before, why now was it so different? I wasn't going to ask her why because she was sensitive right now. I hugged her, stood up and walked over to the door.

"Yell to me if you need anything." I smiled, closing the door behind me.

I sighed as I walked back downstairs and sat down in the couch. My mom walked over and sat next to me.

"Did you figure out what's going on with your sister." She asked.

"Yeah, but it's private." I shrugged.

"So you can't tell me?" She asked.

I shook my head.

She got up and made her way back into her office. I laid back and rested my head on a pillow. I stared at the ceiling wondering what it would feel like to know you could get killed. And for her it's extra scary because it's about something sexual and she's only 11 years old. Kids that age shouldn't have to worry about that kind of stuff. They should be out making friends and having fun, not being scared to leave the house because they know some predator is going to get them.

Reilly came down the stairs and grabbed a bottle of water.

"Do you want to go out?" I asked.

"Where?" She asked.

"I don't know, where ever you want." I smiled.

"I think I'd rather stay home tonight." She shrugged.

"Alright." I nodded.

That was understandable. She's stressed and I need to take time to relax as well so I guess it's fine. I sat up and held my head making sure I didn't get dizzy. I sighed. I didn't want Reilly to be scared or worried anymore. She didn't need to be.