Chapter Seven

(Picture of James Hatter)

"I'm afraid not, my dear queen." that same booming voice spoke from just beyond the tree line. Emmett pushed Alice behind her, standing in a defensive position.
"James, darling, so good to see you." the Red Queen cooed.
"My dearest Queen Ariel, it has been much to long." he said as he stepped out from the tree line. He took in the scene before him, and the bowed at the waist. The Queen giggled, and flirtatiously curtsied back at him. He gave her a sly grin, then his face set back into the expressionless mask he wore before. He turned towards Alice, and studied her, hard and long. A silence fell among the group, each and every person holding their breath to see what the Hatter would do next. The Hatter's eyes locked on to Alice's and she froze.
"Well, well, we seem to have quite the predicament here." came a lazy, soft, and feminine voice from beyond where the Hatter was standing. The March Hare came out from where the Hatter appeared and sneered.
"This is her? The prophesied one?" she stepped further out from behind the Hatter.
"Why not put us up against, hmm, I don't know, a rabbit?" She sneered once again, this time towards Emmett. Emmett visibly stiffened, and took a step towards March, but a quieting hand in his shoulder from Alice stopped him.
"Now, let's not, um hum hum, loose our heads."
Queen Ariel added in from the middle of all of this, giggling at her own personal joke. March tittered a small, high pitched laugh, Emmett did a half smile, but James was still staring and analyzing Alice. She shifted from foot to foot, glancing everywhere but at James. She finally glanced up at him through her lashes, and his gaze was still intense. She blushed, flustered with the attention. She mentally shook her head at herself.
'He would not be noticing a girl like me when he had a woman like March at his side.' She scolded herself mentally.
'He isn't interested in me, his interest never even came into this!'
She looked back up at him, straightened her spine, and raised her head high. She would not cower before this stranger.