Chapter Eight

"Why don't we settle this like the civilized creatures we are. Over tea?" The Queen suggested. March's laughter tittered into the empty space between the group.
"Oh, but James! We've almost missed tea time!!! Let us join them. Oh please oh please oh please!" March declared as if she would die without a drink of tea.
"We can't. We have to stop the prophe-" James started, but was interrupted by the Queen.
"My darling James" she sang out, emphasizing his name, "you do realize how, ahem, rude and improper it would be to refuse an offer like this? For, on that offense of bad manners, you'd loose your head. And I'd hate to see that darling face if yours go as much as I hate bad manners!" The Queen started out softly but ended in a menacing growl.
The Hatter shifted his eyes to Alice before deciding.
He bowed low at the waist.
"As you wish, my Queen."
------
Their tea was served in a garden blooming with flowers of all kinds, but only one color. Blood red. They dined, uncomfortably and silently in a glass gazebo, swirling with color as the light hit the delicate panes of glass, but not before the Queen insisted they all changed into 'tea time attire', which for Alice was a beautiful blue ball gown with a silver belt and large sleeve. However, Alice could not admire the beauty of her surroundings or her dress as all who were seated, the Queen, Emmett, March, and James all stared at her. Finally, she cleared her throat.
"Wha-what is this 'prophecy' you all keep referring to?" She asked tentatively, not wanting to upset any of those seated before her, as she was able to recall what they all looked like in anger, each as equally as frightening as the next.
March snorted in an unladylike gesture.
"Look at her. Doesn't even know her own prophecy!" She went back to nibbling on a biscuit.
"Well," said Emmett sharply, "she wasn't raised here. How did you expect her to know the prophecy?!"
"I certainly thought-" started March. She was interrupted by the Queen.
"This is no time for a petty family feud, you two."
Alice sputtered. "Fa-Family?! How, I, but, what? Emmett?!"
The Hatter gave an amused chuckle. Emmett glared in his direction. The Queen continued on as if nothing had happened, eyes still closed.
"The prophecy they refer to is this:
Beauty like the flower,
Hair like golden silk,
Destruction of Old Orders,
To Wonderland she comes.
Fairer than the moon,
Caught between darkness and light,
Death of all the Hunters ways,
To Wonderland she comes.
Brighter than the Carrow's star,
Her reign strong and right,
To Wonderland she comes,
Alice, good and bright. "
The Queen stopped her eerie rant. No one said a thing.
Alice became confused, then angry.  "Carrow's star? Death to the Hunters? What in England's good name does any of that gibberish mean?! And why, in the good name  of God did you choose me?! There are hundreds if not thousands if Alices in the world! Why me?!" She finished her rant standing, shaking with an emotion so powerful yet completely nameless.

James Hatter started to laugh.
Alice glared at him, hate pouring from her every fiber.
"I've had a big enough mockery made out of my life, good sir," she spat at him, emphasizing that she thought him the exact opposite of a 'good sir', "and need none of your laughter or scorn. Will anyone in the bloody place tell me what's going on!" She exclaimed, painting by the end of her rant.
He was still laughing at the end of her second rant.
"You, darling, have some fight in you." He chuckled with his deep, velvety voice.  Alice almost sat down. Almost. She looked at him, analyzing his words and his gaze. She stood there, surrounded by silence.

Then she threw tea on him and stormed out of the glass enclosure. He cursed quietly and followed her out.