Chapter Four

(Picture of the Rabbit Hole)
The Rabbit Hole was nothing as Alice expected. It was quiet, the only sound was rushing winds. It was dark, which didn't surprise Alice. What did surprise her, though, was that it was speckled with swirls and twinkles of colorful light zooming past in the shapes of oddly familiar objects. A clock. A piano. A bed. All the while Alice held tight to Emmett's hand, frightened that if she let go, she would be lost somewhere.
'Curious' thought Alice.
'Isn't it?' a voice in her head replied. Alice looked at Emmett, startled.
He smiled and nodded at her.
'You can read my thoughts?' Alice asked.
'I can hear them.' thought Emmett. Alice nodded, then opened her mouth to speak, but noting came out. Alice heard masculine laughter drift through her head and then Emmett thought to her.
'You look like a fish.' Emmett thought to her. Alice laughed in her head, and Emmett smiled.
'What a beautiful laugh...' Alice heard filter through her head. She looked at him, startled, but he gripped he hand tighter, and pointed in front of him.
'The exit. Hold on to me. The Rabbit Hole has always been... unpredictable.' Emmett thought to her.
'Unpredictable? You speak as if it is alive.' Alice thought.
'In a way, it is. Now, get ready. Three. Two. One.' They tumbled out on to a hill, seemingly from a swirling mass of stars. Emmett's hand was ripped from hers, and Alice rolled down a hill, tumbling over and over again, only seeing flashes and bits if the colors of the place she landed in. She briefly heard Emmett call her name before she landed with a thud against some unknown wall. She heard Emmett calling for her, but she was too disoriented to let him know here she was. She heard the pounding of his feet as he ran up to her, and she felt his hands gently lay her out on to the soft green grass underneath her.
"Alice, can you hear me? Alice!" he yelled at me, panicked that I was hurt.
"Shh, too loud. I'm tired, that's all." she said as she rolled away from him. The sweet aroma of the grass and the pleasant flower-like smell wafting from her left had made her drowsy. The fall hadn't even hurt. Emmett sighed, exasperated.
"Come, Alice. We must move before Hatter gets through the Rabbit Hole."
Alice awoke at the thought of the dark, menacing shadow. She kept to her feet, startling Emmett.
"Let us hurry, then." Alice stated determinedly. "They must not catch us."