🕵 S e v e n t e e n

Harry was sitting in the back of the car behind the driver seat. Louis was next to him and Amos was in the front passenger seat. Before, when they passed the driveway to park three blocks down, Louis saw that kelly's car wasn't in the driveway. So they knew they would be waiting for her to come home. Waiting was the last thing Harry wanted to do at a time like this but he knew if they wanted to find Zayn, then they had to. They'd been sitting quietly for twenty minutes when Louis started a conversation.

"So... Amos, right?"

"Yep."

"You really used to be a police officer?"

"That's right. I was a police officer for nine years. Then I became a security consultant. I've been that for the past nine years or so."

"Wow. You like it?"

"Well... yeah. I do. I'm not happy that I deal with kidnapping and extortion and things like that. But I know that my services are needed in the world we live in. So I'm happy that I can be useful in that regard."

"Makes sense."

"So what do you do for a living?"

"Me?" He glanced at Harry and he seemed almost embarrassed to say it. "I drive a truck and make deliveries for a floral company. All local."

"You like it?"

"Yes. I only work four days a week so I'm able to be home and not have to pay the baby sitter for my days off. Even though I required her services today on my day off because of where we are. It pays me enough to rent the house every month, keeps all other bills paid and feeds my kids. It's all that matters."

"Absolutely."

"So what about you? Do you like this aspect of your job?"

"Truthfully, this isn't an aspect of my job. This should be left up to the current policemen and investigators. But I did do this when I was a police officer."

"Did you like it then?"

"At first. When I was younger. But then it started to feel monotonous. Just sitting and waiting. Pissing in bottles. It got old."

Louis chuckled. "I can see how. This isn't exactly a picnic."

"Yeah, but this is slightly easier. We can leave whenever we're ready because we're not being assigned to do this. And it's not all too bad. I mean you're stuck in a car but you've got your old friend next to you. And it's not like you don't have anything to talk about. This would be a great opportunity to catch up with each other if you wanted."

When Amos put his binoculars up to his eyes to look at the house again, Louis glanced at Harry and noticed Harry was looking at him too. In that moment, he realized that even during the fifteen minute ride here, they hadn't said a word to each other. Clearly even with the circumstances of them reuniting, things were still very awkward between them. And despite that they had apologized without actually saying the words earlier, he still didn't really know how Harry felt about him.

"I'm sorry." Harry said out of nowhere.

Louis raised his brow. "You're sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"For choking you earlier. I could've killed you."

"But you didn't. So it doesn't matter. I deserved it anyway."

"You didn't."

"I did. For the stuff I put you and Zayn through. I'm surprised you didn't do it five years ago."

Harry cleared his throat and kept his eye on Louis. "Why did you?"

"Why did I what?"

"Do all the things you did. And why didn't you ever pause to think about me when you were doing them?"