🕵 T h i r t e e n

"Hello?" Harry said into the phone.

"Hello, Harry."

"I've got your money."

"Good. Is it someplace, safe?"

"Yes."

"Keep it there. There is still more for you to do."

Harry exchanged glances with Amos, who had come over for the phone call. "More?"

"That's right. More."

"First, I'll need proof of life."

"Hold on."

Like all other times, there was a short silence. And then Zayn's voice.

"H."

"Zayn."

"I got you coffee from the coffee shop."

Harry frowned. "You're not Zayn."

"Yes. I am. Listen to me. I got you coffee."

"No! Stop saying that! I'm trying to save the man that is my husband but how can I do that when the same thing is being repeated to me?!"

A distorted voice interrupted him again. "Hey! We're not doing this shit again! He chooses to say whatever it is he chooses to say to you. I can't make him say anything he doesn't want to say. So you listen!"

Harry gulped.

"Tomorrow, choose a different bank than the three previous banks and withdraw five thousand nine hundred in cash. At exactly eight p.m. tomorrow, you will receive another call for further instruction. And what I said last week remains true, Harry. No funny business. If you don't have all of my money, then fuck your proof of life because I'm going to kill him! You understand?"

"Please, no... You can't. He doesn't deserve this. You could have taken me instead."

The line was silent. "Hmm. I guess I could have. But then again, I think I like you suffering better."

"Why? Can't you at least tell me why?"

"I can't. But if you think it should have been you instead, you should have thought about that before you fired me and chose him over me."

"What?" The line disconnected and Harry quickly looked up in Amos' direction. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes. I did. For a moment, it sounded like you were speaking to someone who knows you personally. Someone who has it out for you."

"And I know exactly who it is."

"Who?"

Harry got up from the couch, left the room and headed down the hallway. Amos was following him.

"Louis Tomlinson. He was an old friend of mine. He used to work with me about six years ago. We were great friends."

"Were? What happened?"

"Zayn started working for me and we started dating. There was a brief period where Zayn and I broke up. It was only a few weeks. But while we were separated, one of my other friends who still remains my friend, told me what he and Louis had been doing behind my back. They were teasing Zayn and trying to break us up. My other friend regretted what he did. But not Louis. He was upset that I was even taking up for Zayn at all."

"Really?"

"Yes. So I ended up having to fire him right on the spot and I ended my friendship with him right away. I couldn't continue befriending someone who was trying to split me from the man I was coming to love. I later found out from my other friend that Louis was just using me for my money all along. He liked the women we would bring home and he liked that I paid for his meals when we went out."