🕵 S i x t e e n

Start from the beginning

Zayn softened. It always made him feel so good when Harry said things like that. He didn't know how things would turn out but with Harry encouraging him, it was always worth the try.

"Then I will. I'm going to do it. Tomorrow after work, I'm going to go to the art supply store, get a giant sketchpad, some pencils and Copic markers. And then watch me be amazing."

"I will. And I bet your mother will enjoy hearing about it when she comes to visit in a couple weeks too."

When he smiled, Harry pressed his mouth to Zayn's for a kiss.

"Love you, baby." He whispered as if it were a secret kept only between the two of them. So Zayn whispered back.

"Love you too."

That night kept replaying in Zayn's head over and over again. No matter how many times he closed his eyes, that moment was repeating from beginning to end. All he could see was how much Harry loved him and how much Harry wanted what was best for him and wanted him to be successful. It made him think about his children and his mother and best friend. He knew Patricia and Niall were worried. But the only thing that kept him from getting anxiety about never seeing them again was seeing their faces in his mind and pretending that they were there right beside him and talking to him.

However, when the door to the shed opened, Zayn was forced to open his eyes. He faced the doorway and blinked towards the shadow figure. Rod came in with his arms folded and his gun was in his hand. Reality was back.

"Miss me?" He asked.

Zayn kept quiet.

"That's okay. You don't have to say anything. By the bruises on your face, you must still be in too much pain to talk much. I whacked you pretty good, huh?"

With the smirk on his face, it was clear he was bragging about hitting Zayn with his gun.

"I came to tell you I had a dream about you last night."

Zayn scoffed and turned away from him.

"What's the matter? You don't sound pleased."

"I'm not."

Zayn felt the bed go down next to him so he knew Rod was sitting next to him.

"You didn't hear the rest of it. I didn't get to tell you all about it. All the things you did for me. I was wrong about you."

Zayn turned his nose up in disgust but still didn't bother to look his way.

"Maybe no man can ever truly love you. But it doesn't mean you aren't useful to us. Because you are. Especially to me." He placed a hand flat on Zayn's stomach. "I could lay it out in detail, if you'd like."

"No thank you." He tried to push his hand away but Rod grabbed that hand and held it tight."

"I have to be honest here. I'm not a loyal man. I never was. You know why? Because I don't need anyone but myself. And if that's the way it is, then why be loyal now?"

"Terrible reasoning."

"It isn't. It's the truth. And since when is telling the truth wrong? Exactly. It isn't." When Zayn faced him, he let go of his hand. "You ever have dreams about anyone other than Harry?"

"No."

"At all? Not the cute guy at the coffee shop or the fit guy down the hall at Anne?"

"No."

"Really? No wild sexual fantasies that you wish your husband was capable of fulfilling?"

"Excuse me, but why do you care? You don't like men."