Chapter 5

Scanning the turbulent rapids, it was tricky to pinpoint the origin of splashing. The light reflecting off the surface generated a sheen like the surface of a mirror. Blinding at first, my eyes adjusted briskly, almost relishing in the spectacle of it.

There was no sign of the man I speculated had submerged. But then a noise rises from above the rumble, a gasp downstream. A flailing shape of a man making its way to the shore, my only thought, impossible.

I dash down the beach in disbelief, eyes fixed as he stumbles out of the river and onto the sandy bank. Coughing up water his chaotic eyes grab sight of me, taking my hand to soften his fall in exhaustion, chest heaving.

"You ok?" I ask.

"Yea, just need a moment." he gasps between breaths. "That wasn't what was supposed to happen, I was ready, I was sure of it..." he mutters to himself. "I was supposed to bullet across, not float down it."

"What do you remember? The name is Stone, Hunter Stone." Still holding his hand I give him a firm shake.

"Its Neil, Neil Gunn. Last name Stone huh? Small world. I know your father, Ronald Stone. He is a good man, helped me when I first arrived."

"Well, at least he has the virtue to help explain things to a stranger." I mumble.

"What?"

"Nothing. Look I need to tell you something but I'm not sure how so I'm just going go for it. About how you ended up in the river."

"Yea, I was wondering that very thing to think about it."

"I found you on the edge of the beach but you weren't breathing, no pulse. You were technically dead so I started compressions but accidentally you slipped down that steep slope and into the current. You were gone and out of sight in seconds. Next thing I know your swimming to the beach. I know this sounds crazy, but you were cold, you were gone."

Casually he responds, "Not as much as you think. I vaguely recall approaching the water then felt strange, weak. I must have gone down."

"Do you think it was your heart? Like you threw an MI or something?"

He looks at me curiously then laughs, " An MI? Your fresh off the boat, aren't you? Ron hasn't explained much has he? No, I don't think it was my heart, I think there is something else going on. Was there anyone else on the beach?" he asks.

"Yea, a bunch of militia monks calling themselves the Guardians. Their leader, John Vogel looked to be checking you out and acted like you were going to be fine, just needed to recharge he said. After that, they left but when I came closer, you were in trouble."

"Wait, Vogel was here but then left? Seems strange he would just leave me there."

"They had business elsewhere and acted like it was just you being exhausted. Do you know much about them?"

"I have spoken to him, we had an encounter. Seems to take the whole protector of the Cusp role a bit too serious. Has some radical ideas about how the security should be running here."

"Radical ideas?"

"He feels those who cross over should be checked and reviewed, he feels the borders don't work, despite that being their function that have existed through time."

He considers my look of confusion,"Don't worry about it right now. Follow me real quick, let's get you a Third-Eye built before I have to leave. That's what you need if you want some real answers."

"Third-Eye?"

As he walks up to the river edge he reaches his hand towards the swirling water. "You will see very soon, move up closer."