chapter 3

"Alright, Scampster, fetch the can out of the alley." Buster told the pup to begin some Junkyard Dog training.

"How hard can it be to get a tin can from a dog?" Atticus asked.

Scamp climbed in with some of Atticus's help. The other dogs, except Angel was laughing. She looked concerned for Scamp, as Mo did to Atticus. There was an aggressive looking dog holding a tin can hostage, but luckily, he was sleeping, so he didn't come after and try to hurt the puppy or the boy. Atticus began to get scared as soon as he saw the dog that was sleeping.

"Scamp, that's the dog I saw in my nightmare." Atticus whispered to the puppy.

Scamp looked very nervous. "I'll handle this, Atticus, this is dog's work." he whispered to the human boy and snuck over to the bear-like dog as he snored loudly and heavily.

Atticus began biting his nails, nervously. Scamp came close to the sleeping dog and leaned in far to bit the end of the tin can and pull it softly and quietly. The dog reached his paw out to reach for his can which had been stolen. He looked like he was about to wake up, but then he put his dog arms under his chin and went back to sleep, not noticing anything wrong yet. Atticus then began to relax.

"Okay, great you got the tin can let's get back to Buster and the others." Atticus whispered to Scamp.

Scamp nodded and backed up to make sure the dog was still asleep. He then felt victory and started to go back to the others, but accidentally hit the trashcan by him and the dog woke up in a flash.

"Oh, come on!"Atticus exclaimed.

Scamp started to whimper a little in fear and ran with Atticus away from the aggressive dog, Reggie. 

"Can you reach that?" Scamp asked, seeing a latch that only someone with thumbs could move.

"I think so." Atticus said.

"Come on!" Scamp tried to get to the door and jump for it. It was pretty high for him, hands or no hands. 

Reggie was coming close for them and about to hurt them.

"Run!" Atticus screamed.

Scamp kept jumping for the latch and Reggie had cornered them. 

"Follow my lead." Scamp whispered to Atticus as the scary dog was trying to bite them.

"You don't have to tell me twice." Atticus said.

Scamp and Atticus led the dog other ways and quickly made their way to run away from his path. They jumped onto old crates as the dog crashed against them and Scamp bit and hung onto a blanket to air-dry as laundry. Atticus joined him. Reggie didn't see them at first, but then looked up and tried to chomp at them as they were dangling. Since Atticus was holding onto the sheet as well, it was losing its free will to hang and the clothes pins snapped off and the sheet fell onto Reggie, allowing Atticus and Scamp to further escape. 

"It's a spook!" the sheepdog thought Reggie was a ghost. "A spook!"

"No, it's Reggie, scatter!" Buster told them.

The dogs and Mo ran away as Reggie broke through his fence and was in the middle of the street. Scamp and Atticus ran into a woman with her poodle. Angel and Mo came to help the boys as Reggie was charging toward them. That was when the dog-catcher was coming and didn't even think to see Atticus and Mo as Scamp's and Angel's possible owners. Though his smoke in the back of his car blocked Reggie's vision and made him go another way while the pups and kids were elsewhere. Atticus was relieved to know that Reggie went the other way.

The dog-catcher had scooped Angel up in a net.

"HEY! Let go of her!" Mo yelled as she stopped on the sidewalk and glared at the authority figure.